CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Help with heating rack

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
I'm using THG tape and yeah I've read the faqs.
. Even with the top tubs getting to 90 the cool end has been 80-82. The bottom warm end has been around 82 with cool end 72. I belive that would all be an acceptable range correct?
Just re-reading the FAQ's I see THG has its own website now which its info is a bit different than the Reptile Basics FAQ's. It's these statements that stuck in my mind from the RB FAQ's "
"At Reptile Basics we do not recommend belly heat under 6 quart tubs (shoebox). Even with the 3 inch element this is a recipe for disaster."
"There must always be at least a small (1/8" or more) air gap on at least one side of the element."
Again, i only build racks with back heat so I really have no opinion if this is true. It stuck in my head and wanted to bring it to your attention to keep you and your snakes safe

I don't use thermostats so I'm glad HerpsOfNM can help. I agree that the upper temps need to come down. I found that snakes that acclimate to higher overall temps do not tolerate coolers temps well later. In your racks setup now just moving a corn snake from the upper shelves to the lower shelves could bring on a URI. Just food for thought

Old 07-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #12
backafter30
I cut a separate piece of THG for each shelf and wire them all with their own plug. I build six high, then plug each shelf into a 6-plug distributor. This way, I only have to heat the tubs that are occupied. I prefer back heat, and I enclose the entire thing in 3/4" styrofoam and seal it with duct tape to keep the heat in. The electric bills stay low, and the snakes stay warm. I like vivarium electronics thermostats.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
bthomas
I am considering switching to back heat but with these racks not having a back im not sure how to attach the heat tape.. actually just made a seperate post about this before seeing these other comments

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google