• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

the saga continues........

ok, pity party, I have to confess that lil rejecting the live pink has really shocked and depressed me. I was sure this would do the trick and I do feel a bit down. On a positive note, Calamity has been less keen in her feeding response last 2 times so I gave her a live pink, she attacked in true style and constricted like something off discovery channel.
Also a member on another forum says their corn took over a year before feeding voluntarily, so I'm not giving up hope yet.

diamondlil said:
ok, pity party, I have to confess that lil rejecting the live pink has really shocked and depressed me. I was sure this would do the trick and I do feel a bit down. On a positive note, Calamity has been less keen in her feeding response last 2 times so I gave her a live pink, she attacked in true style and constricted like something off discovery channel.
Also a member on another forum says their corn took over a year before feeding voluntarily, so I'm not giving up hope yet.
I am so sorry, I wish there was something I could do to help you :headbang:

But remember, this is not the end, there are many battles to a war!
We are here for you, just moan, rant, tell your frustration, unhappiness and what ever else you need to do to help making you feel a bit better, bring it on, we can take it!

Keep your chin up and try not to get too discouraged.

Thanks Jenkva, I've had a bath and feel more human now. Last night at work spent in specialling critical patient because there wasn't a high-dependency bed available, so woke up feeling a bit flat.
Have told Lil that she can try again when the next litter comes along, not sure she was paying attention though! :rolleyes:

You are very welcome. It is normal to feel that way after all the trouble you have/are going through. At least Calamity ate some of the of it ;)
you can feed the others to your other snakes or just freeze them, at least it will not perish.
Are your mice on the "let's make more babies" already?

Keep us posted on the progress or lack of it.

I hope your night shift will be easier than the last one.

not working 'til next monday, some recovery time. Only 2 pinks left, the naughty mice ate 3 on the first day, the others I will co2 and freeze when they get to hopper/ small adult size, I've got enough bought pinks, peach and fuzzies for now, and it's time to bump Butch up as he can handle 2 fuzzies for last couple of feeds. Haven't been around to see the mice getting busy but I wouldn't be surprised if the production line will be in action soon. Anyone know how long breeder mice keep producing? just planning ahead......

Hey, 35g is great, congratulations!
Next step for her after putting on weight is to eat and not being fed :(

Well I know that, Jekva, You know that, and everyone on here knows that, the only problem is convincing Lil! I'm glad she's growing. The mouse pregnant again, so we'll try again with the next pinks. Oh the gig for my son got cancelled, the 3rd singer to pull out left not enough practice time. He's joining another band with more commited members, and starting to sing himself. New gig at end of this month, we hope.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

The mouse was pregnant, but got in from work to find 1/2 pinkie left and 2 ex-parents with blood all over their faces. Turns out my boys had tried to tame the mice by handling them more without me knowing. Stern words were spoken, I explained they can tame their pets all they want, these are meant to be happy, unstressed breeders. So mice now in my bedroom, and expecting again. Lil still getting syringed, monthly weigh in due thursday, she's shedding once a month and I'll get new pics of her to post on weighing day.

That's a bummer about the cannibal parents but this usually happens (as far as I know/remember from somewhere) that if you leave the male with the female once she gives birth, they eat the little ones. You might want to try putting the male in another cage when she is close to giving birth.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong!

Great news that Lil is still putting on weight an is healthy.

Good luck on the next one ;)

jenkva said:
That's a bummer about the cannibal parents but this usually happens (as far as I know/remember from somewhere) that if you leave the male with the female once she gives birth, they eat the little ones. You might want to try putting the male in another cage when she is close to giving birth.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong!

Great news that Lil is still putting on weight an is healthy.

Good luck on the next one ;)

Hey Girls -

That is not correct. The male/father mouse actually spends as much time caring for the little ones as the mother does.

What I've seen in the mouse colonies that I've had is that first time parents sometimes will eat their young or if the family gets stressed or sometimes another female will kill then eat the young or sometimes it's never resolved.

What I do is give the colony a chance to settle and have a few litters. If they are still killing young by the 3rd litter I try to isolate the "problem" mouse or I euthanize the whole bunch and start over (this has only happened once - ugh). I have never had the male mouse be the "problem" mouse.

I think that isolating the colony, keeping the stress down is the best plan.

Good Luck!!

-Tonya

I've had a couple males that would eat the babies ~,~ Then again.. I had a couple moms that would give birth, then eat the baby while giving birth to the next O.O Crazy mices hehe.

Gintha said:
I've had a couple males that would eat the babies ~,~ Then again.. I had a couple moms that would give birth, then eat the baby while giving birth to the next O.O Crazy mices hehe.

I think it's safe to say then, that mice are very unpredictable in their behavior. Our information is only as good at the mice we own... LOL :noevil:

-Tonya

Here's big fatty Lil, she weighed in at an impressive (for her) 38g!
25.jpg

24.jpg

Tonight am going to try on a thawed pink, I've put silk plants in her tub now, to see if they will make her feel a bit less stressed, although can't say she seems at all worried about life :rolleyes:
The mouse is getting fatter, but as the last litter were canibbalised not holding out for them as the answer.
again thanks for all the support I've been getting on here.

I've been following this whole thread and I just wanted to say I completely admire your devotion. You obviously love and respect your animals very much.

I am hoping for Lil, and will continue to follow this thread to see how it all goes, so please keep us updated :)

It's really nice of you to say that, but really have no alternative! If Lil was in any way showing signs of suffering, or was still failing to thrive, I'd have her euthanised. Someone on an english forum had to force feed for 2 years before the snake fed voluntarily, so it's not just me, and I just hope this shows there can be something done for some non-feeders.
My real regret is that I can never breed Lil, we have a small enough gene-pool in the uk, so she won't get to pass on her problems, but also won't see if her lovely colours would have been replicated.

Yes, but a lot of people would just have given up by now. And you chose not to swap Lil for another snow! That proves you are devoted, surely. I expect a lot of people would have sold Lil back to the pet shop by now :)

That is a shame about breeding. I don't know, are feeding problems genetic? It puzzles me why some corns won't feed and the rest feed normally.

ok. I admit I'm a softy! When I was breeding gerbils, one of the mum's always rejected her albino pups as their fur grew in, so I hand reared them, and strangely one of my old zebra finches rejected her wild-type chicks, so hand-raised them too. It just takes a bit of time and effort, and I can see that big-time breeders might not have the time, but with a few pets it's easy to see if the babies are saveable.

Plissken said:
I don't know, are feeding problems genetic? It puzzles me why some corns won't feed and the rest feed normally.
Some feeding problems probably are genetic. You might pair up two siblings because both are het for the amel trait, expecting 25% of the offspring to be amel. But each sibling might also be het for "I don't wanna eat" trait, which could result in 25% of the offspring being "I don't wanna eat" corns.

Back