CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

the saga continues........

Old 03-31-2006, 02:26 AM   #71
jenkva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy19
I read this whole thread, and I'm amazed at the devotion you have for Lil! That's awesome. I will also do anything for my pets, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one! I do have a few questions, though...

What's "braining?"

I read something about scenting the mice, too. If this ok to do every once in a while, just to add some fun, and interest for the snake? Or would it cause them to reject a normal f/t? And if we can scent them with tuna water/juice, can they EAT tuna? I've been wondering about little treats and stuff like that for them.
Hi Savvy!

Yes! Diamondlil is doing so so so much for little Lil, it is amazing...
Today I am on the edge of my seat waiting for find out if Lil had eaten the live Pinkie!!!

"Braining" means that you expose the brain of the food item by cutting the skin&skull. It is a rather delicate operation with pinkies as their skull is very fragile and you might just squish the head instead of braining it.

If your snake eats without any problem, there is no need/point in scenting it as it is used to make the snake eat the food, to entice them and not to give him the impression that he goes to a different restaurant...lol... It is like a dog or cat, same food each feeding session and they do not get "bored" with it.

PLEASE, do not feed your snake anything else than mice, Tuna is not a food items they can eat. Only the scent that is used and not the meat itself otherwise if they could eat tuna there would be no need to scent the mice but we would give them tuna straight away.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:34 AM   #72
diamondlil
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pinky still alive and well rushed home from work, checked and Lil coiled up and pinky squirming away in good health. I'll leave it in today while I sleep, (work again tonight). Looks like the plan didn't quite come off It has been suggested to me on another forum that feeding whole pink instead of puree may help Lil's swallowing? What do you guys think of that, I'm not sure because she never had any problems swallowing when she was eating voluntarily
Thanks for the plaudits, but I'm only doing what it takes to keep Lil going, I haven't cured her yet and that's still out of reach

Old 03-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #73
jenkva
oh Diamondlil, so sorry to hear she hasn't eaten....
As you feed her with the syringe, couldn't you put the head of the pinkie in her mouth to see if she will go for it? By now, she might think that food is in the shape of a syringe...lol
Just an idea

Old 03-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #74
diamondlil
I have managed to get her to swallow a pinky head before, so I could give it a try, she's as healthy as can be except for the non-feeding, so one way or another we'll keep going until she gets the idea!

Old 03-31-2006, 07:47 AM   #75
ickle_moose
I keep checking this thread to see how your little one is doing. It's awesome the amount of effort you've gone too, I can only hope I'd be as dedicated if in the same situation. Sorry to hear she didn't eat the live pink Is this a daft suggestion: could you give her 2 pink heads at a time the work up to a whole pink? (not the same I know, but one of mine got 2 pinks per feed for a while and didn't lose interest in between. Just finished one, then on to the other) Anyway, hopefully when you get back from work the pink will be gone and you'll have a smug little snake

Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #76
diamondlil
Just woke up (another night at work ahead). 1 dead pink + 1 empty Lil. So should I pop another live 1 in tonight, or leave the attempt for when the next litter comes?
To clarify with the pinky head she ate last month, it wasn't voluntary, I managed to push it far enough into her throat that she swallowed it, but it seemed more traumatic than the syringe feeding. It took a few attempts as opposed to the ease of syringing.
I was hoping that syringing then waiting for pink would break the cycle of rejection of food items.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #77
MegF.
I would not attempt another feeding yet. Usually you should wait until the next scheduled feeding so that you don't try too often.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #78
diamondlil
thanks Meg, I'm not thinking straight, just woke up and another night at work ahead, in that case the pinks will probably be too big, if so I'll syringe puree again tuesday and wait for the next litter to come along.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #79
MegF.
If this snake doesn't start eating, it's certainly not for lack of trying!! You'd think she'd give in just to make you go away Either that or she likes the attention.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #80
diamondlil
It's not for lack of help either, Meg! Thanks to all who are offering support still, as I said I'm tired and not thinking straight but I really do appreciate others sharing this saga of trouble with me. Thankfully all the other snakes still acting like textbook easy to keep pets, no health issues at all. I'm going to pick up my christmas corn next week anyway, it will give me something else to focus on and at least I know Lil is still growing well on her puree diet

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google