• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

I am very new to snakes, but I read over this entire thread teary eyed and my heart hurts for you. You've gone through such a long journey so far since the accident and I'm pulling for Festivus and hoping he will be alright. It makes me so sad that something like this could happen...
I really, truly hope that he will be alright and that he makes it through his shed ok and eats a nice pinky afterwards.
All the best of luck to you and my well wishes will be constantly sent your way. :)

I'm rooting for you both!

I heard it mentioned that maybe you could tube him some sort of nourishment? I was thinking maybe a tiny bit of wet cat food or something? I know it's not the ideal diet....or even CLOSE...but it's SOMETHING......anyone?

Food is not an issue at this point, if anything, he is likely to either regurge or simply invest much needed calories and energy in digesting when it could have gone to his immune system.
I suggest keeping him in the warm spectrum for the next couple of weeks- it stimulates the immune system.

I am really sorry to hear about this mess, sure makes you think and consider one's feeding habits.

Best of luck!

My prayers for the best outcome; I'm with diamondlil and Drewby

Rooting for him! (Could you not tube him something like critical care?)

I'm rooting for you both!
I heard it mentioned that maybe you could tube him some sort of nourishment? I was thinking maybe a tiny bit of wet cat food or something? I know it's not the ideal diet....or even CLOSE...but it's SOMETHING......anyone?
I haven't lost a snake to starvation or malnutrition in 30 years. IMO, before the poor creature succumbs, he would definitely be getting some nutrition of some kind. A formula that would provide the maximum herp-nutrients, requiring the least chemical breakdown to usable molecules.
In 1980, I had a very high-strung gravid female Western Pygmy Rattler, that I caught in May and kept all summer. Refused to eat. I saw to it that she did not starve or lack for any nutrients. (Lots of careful & ginger finger dexterity required.) Needless to say, I was able to release a healthy mother and five healthy August-born Western Pygmy Rattlers that September, 1980.
BUT, I would not recommend this to anyone who did not know what they were doing or were faint at heart. Even on a Corn Snake.
Where's Kathy Love? Oh Kathy...?

P.S.

I strictly forbid anyone to try anything like my experience during the summer of 1980 with a cranky pit viper. That was just me sharing an experience. In no way do I advise that sort of thing with a poisonous snake.
Please don't interpret that post in any other way except this : me showing my passion and sympathy for Festivus and "starsevol", and the hope of her not having to lose her snake.

I also am sending good positive energy for Festivus...what an awful thing to have happened. I am impressed and I honor you for the dedication and care you have shown in nursing him and caring for him during this time.

Sincerely,
Susan

Hey everyone,

Well, after the way he looked on Saturday, I fully expected Sunday morning to find me with a dead snake. It didn't. His color isn't as cloudy, which means he should be shedding soon. He is more active, but moves jerkily and slowly. I hold him near his waterbowl twice a day, and he drinks for me.

Yesterday, I thawed a pinky for him. He was on hoppers but I think it's best to give him small food that won't stretch his throat. He didn't eat, but for a minute it looked as though he MIGHT.

Not sure what it all means....but time will tell!

Well, that's good news! I bet he's so thirsty. I have plenty that won't eat when they are clear- I wouldn't worry.

Excellent news Beth.

I'm glad to hear he is feeling a little better. Keep him hydrated as you have been doing. He will eat for you soon, you'll see. ;)

I sure hope he sheds for you soon! I'm glad to hear that he is feeling a little better!
*sends healing vibes your way*

Beth,
I understand and agree with the reasoning for feeding a small meal to start. Sometimes however, once they are onto eating mice with hair, they won't go back to mice without hair. I wonder if you could find a really small fuzzy.

Glad to hear some good news

Bethany,
I sure am glad to hear some good news. Sounds like he really wants to hang on. You are a great person and cornkeeper who has hung in there with patience, hope, and perseverance.

Thanks guys :)

Wade, he hasn't shed yet, so I'm not taking his pinky refusal to heart. He was a vacuum cleaner before, ate anything offered. I do have small fuzzies left over though if it should come to that.
I'd even cut a fuzz in half if I had to (ewwwwwwwwwwww).

Back