CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Anyone catch corns in the fall?

Old 09-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
Chip
Anyone catch corns in the fall?

I only "hunt" in early spring, but have noticed a lot of snakes on the road in the last months of the year, ANYTIME there was a warm day. Do any of you who catch cornsnakes herp in Sept-Nov.? Nothing seems to move in the heat of summer, but why doesn't the end of the year become a hot herping time? You certainly start seeing more (live and DOR) from now to winter than in the last several months.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:41 AM   #2
pinatamonkey
Well, of the 2 corns I've seen alive, both were found in September/October (as hatchlings, in '01 and '02) Wasn't even looking for snakes - the first was pretty much directly in front of the house, on the street (saw it from the window), and the other was hiding underneath my neighbor's basketball hoop (right across the street - probably less than 30 feet from where I found the first) I'd hope to see more, but they've done a lot of development in immediate area in the past 2 years...

Hmm... those two look really similar from the top, but the larger one has zero infusion of red into the belly, and the smaller one has quite a lot, considering it's color.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
mattsnake
Thumbs up report from the land of no corns

The snakeing up here has been pretty good during this time of the year. No adults, but I've caughten a dozen or so baby common garters and one baby eastern milk. I have the eastern in a 5 gallon tank, it has awesome color and pattern. (not sure if it eats yet, but it's fat!) Fall seems like a great time to catch the hatchlings, but for catching a big breader spring would be a better time.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
John Albrecht
Hi Chip

I just caught a cornsnake a couple days ago (not an Okeetee). It was under a peice of tin. But this isn't the latest I've caught them. When I lived in Florida I caught them as late as December I think. The earliest I have found them here in South Carolina is March 9th.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 AM   #5
eddie
georgia

i cnat spell...lol.. well for thanks giving im going down there to spend time with family..... help me please.. please tell me that i cna catch corn snakes there at that time still...please!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
Tim Madsen
There's usually lots of movement this time of year. Maybe your looking at the wrong time of day. I see the most activity in the late afternoon through the early night. They come out on the warm pavement at this time, thus all the DORs.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
revxus
any know of any good hunting areas in California?

Old 10-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
mattsnake
you won't find any cornsnakes in california, but you might find some kingsnakes. good places to look: rocky hills, under boards, under rotting logs- all these spots are especially goog when they are near a water source like a pond or stream.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #9
Chip
Yep!

Tons of DOR's around here lately. A couple of pretty corns and tons of BIG black rats. Even caught one corn which I released in a safer spot (nothing to really be able to DO with it) and moved another copperhead. More snakes this year than I've seen in a while, but I've been looking more and a VERY rainy season this ways (NC). I've considered going to the Okeetee Club to hunt, but it's so unproductive except for springtime, usually. Let me know what y'all find!

Old 10-27-2003, 11:13 AM   #10
Skye
There is a huge garter that lives in our garden - never caught it - we just let it be - but we did catch a hatchling garter in our basement this weekend!!

Skye

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google