CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie-ess & problem

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #41
Candachan
"I have followed all the advice about co-habbing such as separate feeding and multiple hides and so forth."

That is not advice on cohabbing, even solitary snakes should be fed in a container seperate from their Viv and have multiple hides...

Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #42
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candachan View Post
"I have followed all the advice about co-habbing such as separate feeding and multiple hides and so forth."

That is not advice on cohabbing, even solitary snakes should be fed in a container seperate from their Viv and have multiple hides...
Aw Candice, cut her some slack!
When you are an expert in OH SO MANY areas, it has to be horrible to be so consistantly wrong about your very own animals!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
ArpeggioAngel
One of my favorite and oft quoted sayings around here is "Its never a problem until it becomes a problem".
In your case, the problem has already manifested itself in one snake not eating. I don't know what other proof you need. Waiting to try again whilst still cohabbing is not the answer. What if it eats this time - and then refuses again next time? How many times before you will admit that it is a problem? The best, safest, smartest thing that you can do for your snakes is to separate them now before it becomes worse. Maybe it isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth.
Yes, one may be a little stressed to start with a move to a new living environment, but it will settle in and be ready to eat again much quicker than in a continued forced cohabitation with another snake.

You have to understand that people on this forum are passionate about their reptiles. Sometimes they may sound harsh in their replies, but we have seen too many cases of people cohabbing (or other no-no's) that have led to serious injury, sickness or death in snakes. And in a lot of those cases those individuals were given similar advice and chose to ignore it because they didn't believe it was a problem (until it became a problem).
People here aren't worried about hurting individual feelings, they are worried about the health and safety of the snakes first and foremost.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #44
diamondlil
I didn't mean stress in the usual manner, as in 'oh I've had a stressful day', I meant stress (to be specific, distress rather than eustress) caused by a less than ideal environment which is very often signalled in reptiles by a reusal to feed, which is what you were worried about. I'm not going to test blood cortisol levels in my snakes, but I can chart their feeding and growth rates to try to work out if I'm following good husbandry practice.
Hey, That 'never a problem quote' comes from me!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #45
JemmaUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Aw Candice, cut her some slack!
When you are an expert in OH SO MANY areas, it has to be horrible to be so consistantly wrong about your very own animals!
When you've watched 5 friends suicide from a no-blame medical condition as a result of years of abuse they've had from other people and incorrect advice from doctors you can bitch about how I react to know-it-alls.

When you have watched someone you love die in her early 20s from cancer after her doctors told her "cant be that you are too young" you can tell me that its a good idea to blindly follow what others tell you whether they are expert or not.

I've read everything stated and I will do what I have said. conversation closed. Advice - not orders, is what I asked for.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #46
Katie612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemmaUK View Post
When you've watched 5 friends suicide from a no-blame medical condition as a result of years of abuse they've had from other people and incorrect advice from doctors you can bitch about how I react to know-it-alls.

When you have watched someone you love die in her early 20s from cancer after her doctors told her "cant be that you are too young" you can tell me that its a good idea to blindly follow what others tell you whether they are expert or not.

I've read everything stated and I will do what I have said. conversation closed. Advice - not orders, is what I asked for.
Clearly an attention seeker... stop giving it to her!!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #47
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie612 View Post
Clearly an attention seeker... stop giving it to her!!
I know, from child abuse to rare disease, to rape to cancer, to mystical affinity to animals (when her own husbandry might be killing one of her own)...to telling the future to publishing books.....
And if you are a "normal" person and don't know "what it's like" to blah blah blah then I don't need to listen to youuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

This thread is about a non feeding hatchling, that apparently is not being properly cared for (or else it would be eating).
We all know why it isn't eating, but the owner seems more inclined to feed the drama llama than to listen and learn....

Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemmaUK View Post

With the amount of things that you have been through, it makes hard reading... Like a soap opera...
Then comes the book writing, inventions and affinity to animals...
Add to that a cross between CSI and a Ghost whisperer who works for the police and can tell things from a photo.....
You missed the smell that surrounds you..... Smells like BS to me.... Sorry I may be too cynical for you, but if any of this is true, Im sorry....
What books have you written and which police force do you work for?.... I'll enquiry and verify your story..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
Dazzles
I don't understand how one can publish books, work for the police, etc without having enough money for a second vivarium.

Prices must be really different in the UK. I got my setup for $130.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #50
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzles View Post
I don't understand how one can publish books, work for the police, etc without having enough money for a second vivarium.

Prices must be really different in the UK. I got my setup for $130.
I deleted my first response and replaced it with this...
Prices in the UK are pretty much as cheap as the US where rubs etc are concerned....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google