CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Antique mall finds

Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Rich Z
The guy who came down from Georgia to do the initial tune of my C5Z, who specializes in custom high powered cars, said he estimated that my car was putting down around 850hp to the rear wheels. With a custom made 427 engine and the twin turbos, that would be expected.

A while back I was talking to a guy working on a mustang he was making track ready. He had just about everything he could get out of the car stripped out of it and proudly stated that he had gotten the weight down to only 3,200 lbs. The curb weight of a stock 2015 Roush Mustand is a hair under 3,900 lbs. The stock curb weight of the 2002 Corvette Z06 is just a hair over 3,100 lbs. That is a significant weight difference.

I've never been much interested in just burning rear tires off of a car, however. All it takes is a bit of wheel hop and you've blown your drivetrain. Of course, I also have all sorts of braces and supports to keep that from happening on my car. Just in case.....

Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Twolunger
Lord have mercy, 850 at the rear wheels. Back in my day we didn't quite have the tires with such a big footprint as they do now. So you needed a bit of grab when pulling a hole shot. But there's a world of difference between smoking the tires, like the Count on Count's Kustoms does with his Corvette, and getting traction.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #13
Rich Z
Traction behind lots of power always needs a fusible link in the system. Too much power and too much traction, and something important is likely going to break. Personally, I would rather the weak link in traction be the tires than anything else I can think of. Producing smoke is pretty cheap, all other things in the driveline considered and compared.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #14
Twolunger
When you mentioned weight I was reminded of a 427 Shelby Cobra that usually has a curb weight of 2355 lbs. What a rocket ship. I was riding my bike on a paved back road and a Cobra passed me, doing all of 20mph. The driver looked about 80 years old and I don't know why he was going so slow. I yelled 550hp? and he said yes. I followed until he turned on to a road with posted speed of 55. I wanted to see him crank that 427, which sure sounded mean. He shifted gears and I swear he never got above 1500rpm
and a top speed of 45. What a let down.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
Buttons
Those look to be Hofbauer magic crystal models.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #16
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
Those look to be Hofbauer magic crystal models.
Thanks. Yes, I found that out when I did a search on "crystal corvettes". Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they made very many models of the vettes. I think they made a C1 version, which I guess I would pick up if I ever find one at some antique shop Connie wants to visit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google