CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

To Boop or not to Boop.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:23 AM   #1
Mr.Z
To Boop or not to Boop.

I am curious to everyone's thoughts on booping the snoot of your corns. I do this in hopes of him not being timid if kids were to do this on accident or what have you. Originally he wasn't a big fan, but now he almost welcomes it. He bows his head down a bit and welcomes the rubs that come next. We even bump noses. Reminds me of a puppy dog really. Is this normal behavior for a corn?

He's never hissed, or rattled at me. As mentioned he wasn't a fan at first and would just jerk away and we wouldn't try again till next handling. Now he seems to appreciate or like it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Anything a person can do to gain the confidence and trust of their pet snake in my opinion is a good thing.

Some people are of the belief, "You should not get close to the snake's head" or "You should never touch the snake's head" etc....

But I rub the top of my snake's head, and I rub under his chin, and he will actually stretch his head out as if to say, "More Please." He doesn't mind it at all.

And as far as booping snoots - LOL, we actually play a game together. I'll hold him with his nose close to my nose and wait for him to flick his tongue. When he does, I touch my nose to his. Then move him back a bit and wait for another tongue flick. This can go on for several minutes, of him flicking his tongue and me booping his snoot with mine.

Again he doesn't mind it at all, it's just a silly game we play, which has helped him get used to my face being close to his, and having his head touched.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Mr.Z
That's awesome to hear! Mine also tends to enjoy the face to face interaction. I think that's what confused me though. Big hairy head coming at me vs. my hands which he has been used to.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
DollysMom
Mine all boop me from time to time. I've never gone out of my way to boop them, but just hold still and they reach out to me. I also love it when I feel them flick, whether its my face or arms. It is such a neat thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
beyourownspotlight
I haven't gone out of my way to boop, but when we were in the petshop the man who was talking to us about snakes was handling Alfie, and booped him and to be totally honest Alfie didn't seem to mind one bit.

I had our first real 'lengthy' handling session last night, and he came up to my face a few times on his own, and sort of booped my arms/hands with his nose/head.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
smale492
I have not done this yet but I do want to try and get my little guy not to be super head shy. He is very curious though when I sit in front of his tank he will slither out and just stare at me when my face is near the tank. He almost always does it when he sees me looking at him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google