CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Dethawing mice..

Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Chip
Same here. I just fill up 5 gallon buckets with hot water, and dump the (pre-sorted by size) mice into them & stir. In about 20 minutes, I feel the belly to see if they are thoroughly thawed. If so, I lay 12 at a time on towels, rub them dry, and feed. For pinks, I don't bother drying them, since the cages they are going into have paper towels for substrate anyway.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Xerneas
Yes, thank you for pointing out dethawing and defrosting! I am guilty of mixing them up, lmao!

I actually prefer to leave mine just little wet, like dunk them in once before feeding...I've seen a lot of snakes who like to have their meals even sopping!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
Christen
Ahh it is OK. I got a little chuckle out of it.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
smigon
Since I only have two snakes to feed (currently, we can all dream about more!) I have both of their meals in one zip-lock baggie, I prepare many meals ahead of time and then roll the baggie up and zip it and freeze them all in one pile. I used to put one baggie in the fridge the night before to thaw, but I just learned this week that even the mice thaw pretty quickly in room temp, so on feeding day I toss one of the zipped baggies in the sink for about half an hour. Then I run very hot water over the bag for a few minutes, plugging the sink and weighting the baggie down with a rock.

I empty the baggie onto separate plastic lids for each snake (they are on different sizes now) and put them by the vivs. I take each snake out, handle them and weigh them, then put them in the viv with dinner, when they see that white lid they get excited!

I don't get them hot enough to be "cooked" or to explode, 10 minutes warms them up to where the snakes can sense their body heat.

Chip, thinking about you stirring a big bucket o' mice in hot water made me laugh!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
HoneyHawthorne
Thank you Smigon! That was really helpful to read your routine ^.^

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google