CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Questionable Pet Store Action regarding frozen rodents

Old 11-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
HVani
Questionable Pet Store Action regarding frozen rodents

I went to pick up some mice for my corn and milk snakes. I was talking to the guy working in the reptile section and he seemed pretty knowledgeable about snakes. I told him I was there to pick up some frozen mice and he told me that last week the freezer was unplugged and no one noticed for over 24 hours. Everything in the freezer was completely thawed.

My response was wow clean up must have sucked. He said no they didn't do anything about it, just plugged the freezer back in and are still selling the frozen rodents. He said it was up to me if I wanted any or not. I passed.

On retrospect I realized if I had not been told this I would have bought my mice regardless, possibly making my snakes very sick. These seems like a questionable call by the pet store, Thought?

Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Chip
Over 24 hours is a long time! They would be snapper food if they were mine. IF they were stacked tightly, there is a chance some of them on the inside stayed frozen. You'll usually see bloody noses if adults thaw a little. If they thaw completely, there will usually be a pool of blood.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
TyeW
As far as I know, if frozen rodents thaw out during shipment or for whatever reason, they have to be thrown out.. This is due to the fact that at room temperature, lots of bacteria can build up on them. Seems very questionable for them to do that, but I mean, at least they can make more money, right..?

Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
HVani
I use to work at this place so I know they were not packed very tightly. Half the time the bags aren't even closed.

There is another store across town that sells frozen mice. They are a bit further away but they are cheaper and I have found their sizes to be more consistent(the other places sells very small adults). I think I will be buying from them from now on.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
HVani
That pretty much seems to be the idea.

The place is a bit shady. I use to be in charge of feeding all the snakes and taking care of the fish. I went in today and the salt water section was disgusting. The reptiles also looked bad. They had a big monitor of some type in a 6 foot tank with no hide. Also one tank had 3 baby ball pythons in there with 2 live adult mice. I mentioned the mice were too big and I got a "Naw they can't take it"

Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
HVani
*can take it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google