CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Feeding Issue

Old 08-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Marshall_P
Question Feeding Issue

Hi, I have 2 new hatchlings hatched on the 21st of July, the first shed was on the 1st of August, my question is that so far they won't take either dead or live pinkies... I've tried a couple of things such as just leaving the pinkies in a tiny bowl, also putting the pinkies along with the hatchlings in a small tupperware container for a couple of hours so that they feel secure & so far no success, while in the tupperware container I ensured not to make to much vibration or noise in the area where they had been, at this point is it an issue of a feeding problem? Or how long can they go sometimes until their first meal after hatching/shedding? Any replies from you people who know much more than me about this would be greatly appreciated... Thanx in advance, Marshall P..

Old 08-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Jessica71
Hi,

Well I must say that what I'm going to say is what I've read - I haven't fed my first clutch yet as they hatched between July 29th and August 2nd and haven't shed yet. But some people on here have had hatchlings go for weeks without eating - six weeks, I'm sure someone said. You could try leaving the snake in a deli tub with nothing but the pinky overnight instead of just for two hours - that often works, apparently. Or you can "brain" dead pinkies. You can then move on to scenting the mouse with a lizard or frog, and then tease feeding. But if they hatched on July 21st and shed on August 1st, it is too early to worry yet. I'm sure they'll come round soon. Maybe leave it for a few days and then try again with one of the above methods.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
Marshall_P
thanx

thanx, I'll try that...

Old 08-08-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Jessica71
Well I shouldn't have spoken too soon because now I have the same problem! My first hatched baby (hatched on July 29th) shed on Saturday so I left a pinky overnight in his cage and he ignored it, so we're in the same boat! Difficult to take my own advice as well... I know it is early, but it's very worrying, isn't it? So many people's hatchlings seem to feed straightaway, some even before shedding. I haven't tried mine again yet - giving him a break. I'll try again in a few days. I'm worried as to me my hatchlings look thinner than some of the others on this forum. Let me know how you get on - good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google