CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

PurpleX / Purple Ex - any info?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
scmartin27
PurpleX / Purple Ex - any info?

Hello everyone!
A few months back I saw a facebook post in a corn snake group about these "PurpleX" corn snakes (some people calling them "Ex Purple" or "Purple Ex"). They were lavenders with high pink and purple saturation.

When I questioned the breeders about what genes were involved (I thought maybe they were peach line or had a red-enhancing gene like coral), they got very defensive and essentially claimed that they did not know what genes were involved, except Lavender is definitely there.

Recently I asked a different breeder of these for any info they may have had, and they told me that 1) they do not sell them to someone who doesn't already have one, and 2) that they could not give me any genetic information on them.

I don't want to post their photos of them here, because I don't want someone to assume I'm claiming it as my own. But here's a link to the photos: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...80871025483483

Does anyone have any information on these at all? anything remotely concrete? To me, they appear to be Dilute Lavender, maybe with the addition if coral...? But I don't know either.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
Twolunger
You've probably already checked with Steve Roylance, as he has lavender morphs I only dream about. It almost sounds like those that have that morph want to keep the genetics a secret. Sooner or later others will produce them, either on purpose or by a pleasant surprise. I think you have worked with lavenders and red factor in the past? Are you attempting to produce something similar?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Rich Z
Actually, I'm surprised that more people don't keep the formula for their genetic creations closer to their chest. I don't know how many times I had people ask me those kinds of questions about the genetic makeup, saying they didn't want to spend the money being asked for the latest combos and wanted to just "roll their own" instead. So I just think that the chickens are maybe coming home to roost because of that sort of attitude towards the hard work someone puts forth to create multi-genetic line cultivars.

More power to the originators, in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Twolunger
Many of us just like to own a beautiful morph or two, but others are in the business of selling their creations. A well known snake breeder told me he has morphs that nobody else has seen yet. He says he is breeding a quantity of them and when the economic time is right he will begin marketing them, but only females. Then a couple years down the road he will sell pairs. He said the big money is being the first to create a new morph and sales for the first few years. After that the prices start dropping yearly as others produce the morph in quantities.

Knowing the ingredients, if I may call them that, and combining them to produce the results desired may take years, and the average corn owner can't keep vast numbers gradually getting those desired results.

When my dad was alive I took him to a reptile show. A corn breeder had a snake I really liked, but the owner had a high price on it. My dad said that if I really like it, and have the money, just buy it. I told him that I could produce the morph myself, as I had some of the morphs to combine and achieve the same morph, and I could buy the others. He asked how much I would spend on the necessary morphs, how much to feed and care for them until breeding age, how many will produce viable eggs, and how long would it be until I achieve the results. He said the smart thing to do is negotiate a price and buy the snake that was already produced.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually, I'm surprised that more people don't keep the formula for their genetic creations closer to their chest. I don't know how many times I had people ask me those kinds of questions about the genetic makeup, saying they didn't want to spend the money being asked for the latest combos and wanted to just "roll their own" instead.
I'm really amused at the people who try to recreate their own because they can't afford the one already produced. I've seen people try to use pet store stock and other animals they got on the cheap...down the road, their recreated morphs will pale in comparison. The only reason I've seen any reason to recreate something I could otherwise just purchase is when I think I can potentially improve on it through high quality base stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
When my dad was alive I took him to a reptile show. A corn breeder had a snake I really liked, but the owner had a high price on it. My dad said that if I really like it, and have the money, just buy it. I told him that I could produce the morph myself, as I had some of the morphs to combine and achieve the same morph, and I could buy the others. He asked how much I would spend on the necessary morphs, how much to feed and care for them until breeding age, how many will produce viable eggs, and how long would it be until I achieve the results. He said the smart thing to do is negotiate a price and buy the snake that was already produced.
Exactly why I would MUCH rather spend $600 on a fabulous Sunkissed Miami from Walter than try to start my own project. Even using the best LBR Miamis and the most contrasted SK I can find, it would likely take a few generations to produce the quality he has now, and in that time I could have produced several clutches from the one I could have bought this year.

As for Purple X, at one point I may have had the opportunity to purchase some, and I now regret not doing so just a little bit. However, considering the poor quality of many of the most impressive looking juvenile photos (after all, some phone/tablet cameras tend to hypersaturate parts of photos) as well as the more average phenotypes I've seen in adults labeled Purple X, I'm not convinced they're anything THAT great.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
scmartin27
Mostly I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about purpleX. I'm guessing the reason no one does is because there's less than a half-dozen people worldwide who have them...?

Kev Helsby is the one who originated the line I hear - he and I are not on speaking terms now due to my asking questions about these Xpurples.

I don't have an issue with them wanting to keep it under wraps if that's what they are doing, but I got the impression that they don't even know what they are selling. I don't think it is an honest business practice to display something as "new" with a new name, when you don't even know if it's new or not. It may just be a collection of genes already out there (my money is on dilute + redfactor + lavender). But at least they are only selling them at regular lavender price I guess

Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin27 View Post
Mostly I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about purpleX. I'm guessing the reason no one does is because there's less than a half-dozen people worldwide who have them...?

Kev Helsby is the one who originated the line I hear - he and I are not on speaking terms now due to my asking questions about these Xpurples.

I don't have an issue with them wanting to keep it under wraps if that's what they are doing, but I got the impression that they don't even know what they are selling. I don't think it is an honest business practice to display something as "new" with a new name, when you don't even know if it's new or not. It may just be a collection of genes already out there (my money is on dilute + redfactor + lavender). But at least they are only selling them at regular lavender price I guess
I think everyone has gotten the runaround who hasn't been let in on the project. We'll see in a few years maybe, if he or Sci actually do outcross and recover them. Anyway, aren't most corn morphs way cheaper on that side of the pond? That's the trend I'm noticing. Good for those of us willing to import I guess.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
Twolunger
I should mention that there is nothing wrong with asking about the genetics behind a corn that you are purchasing. I do it all the time, just so I know the possibilities when I decide to breed that particular snake to one I already have on hand. That is somewhat different than asking how a breeder developed a specific morph, or the genetics behind a specific morph though.

I inquired about a corn last year that was advertised as a high pink, high purple lavender. The picture I received showed a corn that wasn't any more pink or purple than my own lavender male. So I passed on that one.

There used to be an ad I found from someone attending the Hamm show, and willing to bring back specific corns for the purchase price and a fee. I never checked any further, as I can find just about anything I want here, if I have the money.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google