CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Anyone have any good homemade mouse food recipes?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
BSLMichael
I feed my mice cat food, wild bird food mix (They seem to LOVE the song bird stuff) and every now and then i'll give them some of what im eating... Brocolli, Banana peels, orange peels, bread crust and if they are REALLY lucky I'll be in the mood to drop them in some nice dry timothy hay. Kinda shocked, but they seem to use it for bedding, eat it, or sleep in it.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Carpe Serpentis
My mice like boiled eggs. The recipe is simple. Buy fertile eggs. Hatch fertile eggs. Wait 4 months. Feed eggs from poultry to mice. Poultry should free roam to ensure the darkest healthiest eggs for your mice. Ideally, this means the yolk should be light orange and not yellow like those store bought eggs. You can mix the boiled eggs in with oatmeal in the blender for an extra special treat. I blend about 1/2 the oatmeal in the blender and use that with equal parts of egg. Mix thoroughly and add more oatmeal at a 1:1 ratio of your mix you already have effectively making your total oatmeal content 2/3 of the mix. My mice really seem to like this.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Pygora
Yeah right. I go into the farm store here and they give me a dirty look and say they don't have anything to feed mice there! LOL I know what that look/tone says... We don't even want to hear the word mice in our store even though I did see a bag of grain pet food that was buggy right on their shelf. For the largeness of San Diego I am surprised to the fact of things that I can't find! I swear on the East Coast as long as you didn't mind driving you could find ANYTHING! LA isn't really far but I absolutely HATE driving there. (About 6 mo ago we went there a guy rear ended us and totalled our car! :-( But at least we had insurance but he didn't and it was his gf's so I imagine he is probably single now. LOL )

Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygora View Post
Yeah right. I go into the farm store here and they give me a dirty look and say they don't have anything to feed mice there! LOL I know what that look/tone says... We don't even want to hear the word mice in our store even though I did see a bag of grain pet food that was buggy right on their shelf. For the largeness of San Diego I am surprised to the fact of things that I can't find! I swear on the East Coast as long as you didn't mind driving you could find ANYTHING! LA isn't really far but I absolutely HATE driving there. (About 6 mo ago we went there a guy rear ended us and totalled our car! :-( But at least we had insurance but he didn't and it was his gf's so I imagine he is probably single now. LOL )
If it's a farm store you can buy sow rolls or pencils, pelleted hog feed that is great for rats or mice as a complete food.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Pygora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldrose View Post
I use a mix myself
1 50lb bag of wild bird seeds
1 50lb bag of oats
1 10 lb bag of cat or dog food(no red dye it's bad stuff!)
I also add what ever I have around things like
dry pasta
dry rice
dried crumbled bread
rabbit pellets
dried veggies(including seeds)
ceral(avoid the sugary stuff)

I use to buy hog grower as well and add to the mix but I get hives up my arms when I touch it.
I have to ask a dumb question about the cereal. Why avoid suger? Does it just make them fat or does it do something else? I recently got cornflakes & rice crispies...but they only get a very small amount every so often. I was wondering when I bought it but it seemed like every cereal out there has sugar in it now and they didn't have any puffed stuff but sugar puffs and those are REALLY sugary. I was just looking for variety basically.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Floof
Yeah, unfortunately not all farm stores will carry rodent food. You have to call around to find a place that does... I still had to drive a half hour to get Mazuri; the feed store here in town doesn't have it.

If you happen to end up in the area (there IS a reptile expo this weekend, lol!) and decide you want to do Mazuri, the place I got my 6F from is in Norco, just off I-15. Super easy to find.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Pygora
I probably missed it but where is it located? Like exact addy? Worth a try at least.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Floof
The feed store? It's America's Country Store, 1004 6th St, Norco, CA. Phone number is (951) 371-4000.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
july541
hey sarah, this is an amazing thread. iv had a few probs recently. i used to feed 40% oats 40% barley and 20% parakeet mix. but the parakeet mix now has loads of sunflower seeds in it and some mice were getting a bit porky so to speak lol. so i now have them on a hald budgie half parakeet mix that only consists of the tiny round seeds. this seems to be going down much better. they also get mealworms a couple of times a week and small bit mixer is also added into my mix. i am however wanting to completely re-think my mix. i am now useing whole oats ( as they keep the mices teeth down and keep the nutrients in compared to rolled or crushed. ) the only barley i could get was rolled and it was dusty and genrally pants so to speak so i am no longer using that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google