CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn snake lighting

Old 12-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
DumzyDaFish
Corn snake lighting

So, i know lighting isnt necessary, but i thought, corn snakes get light in the wild though, do they not? So i was just wondering, i have this fluorescent tube light on my aquarium that im selling, would it be okay to use that as lighting? Im trying to use something that doesent heat the tank, since im already using a heat pad.. I dont want snake fries... I heard of people using leds too, would those be ok?

Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Zimmer
If they are in a room that gets sunlight or lights on during the day, that's plenty. If they are in a dark room or basement they might need light. If you are wanting to use a light get a less bright one as the snakes don't like the brightness much.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
DumzyDaFish
I guess i could put the tank near my window or somethin, but would the light on my aquarium be harmful or not?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumzyDaFish View Post
I guess i could put the tank near my window or somethin, but would the light on my aquarium be harmful or not?
Fluorescent lights emit uv. Not necessarily harmful depending on the brightness and a lot of other factors, and has been used by many over the years. I personally would not use it. I prefer subdued LED lighting these days. A light designed for fish and especially planted aquariums may be okay though many are pretty inappropriate in my opinion.

Bottom line, you can have a light, but you don't need one as long as there is light in the room. Inappropriate lighting can do more harm than good. If you have a light please have it on a timer and make sure it is off over night. Without knowing more about your specific light, that's as far as I can take it.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumzyDaFish View Post
Don't put the tank in direct sunlight. Since there is a window in the room and daylight can enter then (as already mentioned by others) it is plenty of light for a snake that in the wild is mainly crepuscular/nocturnal.
If you want a light for viewing then the aquarium light will be fine to use. It will generate some heat and UVA's which is harmless. Assuming that the bulb is a cheap aquarium fluorescent. Use it for viewing and turn it off when not.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Distaff
A tank in direct sunlight (at least in summer) can get dangerously hot.
As far as I know, UVB does not penetrate glass anyway.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Distaff
LED's, such as Jungle Dawn, are very bright, use little energy, and produce almost no noticeable heat. They popular with dart frog and geko keepers who need bright light for their planted vivariums. They are pricey, but should last for several years. (I have them, but they are not over the tanks just yet, as I'm trying to grow some plants out first.)

Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Distaff
Typos and missing words....wish this site had an edit feature.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distaff View Post
Typos and missing words....wish this site had an edit feature.
It does

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/payments.php?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distaff View Post
A tank in direct sunlight (at least in summer) can get dangerously hot.
As far as I know, UVB does not penetrate glass anyway.
Right !
That's the reason I mentioned not to put the tank in direct sunlight (anytime of year).
Also right is the fact that UVB doesn't penetrate glass or plastic. UVB is safe with corn snakes unless they have sensitive eyes like Amel morphs have. There is just no point in having UVB radiation with corn snakes. They don't require it to absorb vitamin D to utilize calcium like diurnal lizards do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google