CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Spoiled rotten for cheap.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
albertagirl
Spoiled rotten for cheap.

I've been getting a little frustrated at the prices for things designated as "reptile", for example I've discovered that shaved aspen for small animals is approximately 1/10 the price of shredded aspen for reptiles, AND it's *way*less dusty! So I've been getting a little creative lately. Only one of these ideas is a DIY, the other is just a great deal!

My snakes were growing out of their caves and water bowls and needed the next size up. Here are the ones I was looking at. Instead, I found a molded bamboo dog water bowl which is a water bowl and hide in one. They cost me $6.50 each, and the snakes love them. I also think they are built in climate controlled, since the water evaporating above them would keep the bowl cooler than the surrounding air... I think. They are also dishwasher safe. Maybe they don't look so natural, but actually, they probably are more natural since they are bamboo rather than plastic or resin.
Name:  compare hide.png
Views: 208
Size:  147.6 KB Name:  compare water.png
Views: 206
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  compare bowl DIY.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  206.9 KB

More coming...

Old 05-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
albertagirl
Next is these shelves. Again, the snakes love them, but I now have 8 snakes and only 4 shelves. I went to go order some more, and the price has gone up... a lot! So I ordered these expanding cupboard shelves for $8 and a $20 repticarpet was enough to cover all 4 shelves, and voila! I increased the interior floorspace of my cages by 25% for $13. Again, it's not as beautiful, and may not look as natural, but it's actually a lot easier to clean, so I'm quite pleased!

Name:  compare shelf.png
Views: 211
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  compare shelf DIY.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  139.2 KB

Name:  compare my DIY.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  compare my DIY side.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  135.2 KB

Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
DollysMom
Well done. Wonderful ideas!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Well done. Wonderful ideas!
Thanks! I can't say the waterdish idea was new. I've seen it on here. I'm just so amazed by the price difference! The shelf I'll take credit for. It's probably been done before, but I haven't seen it.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Corning
Love both ideas for shelf and water bowl

Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Genlisae
I. LOVE. THE. SHELVES!

I have been looking for a way to add more floor area that didn't take up a lot of visual space and those are perfect! I am totally stealing that idea.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
Love both ideas for shelf and water bowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genlisae View Post
I. LOVE. THE. SHELVES!

I have been looking for a way to add more floor area that didn't take up a lot of visual space and those are perfect! I am totally stealing that idea.
Thanks! I was quite pleased with how they turned out. I'm thinking I'll wrap the edges and legs with some fake vine and you'll never know there's a wire shelf under there! Now just to see if the snakes use them as much as the other guys use their fake rock ledges...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google