CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Spaghetti's DIY Hide/Burrow

Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
spaghetti
Spaghetti's DIY Hide/Burrow

Credit goes to the supernoodle, because he has created a DIY.... for himself.

I'm sure many have seen this behaviour before with noodles that like to dig, but recently I realized there was an opportunity for something more special when I accidentally made his substrate a little too moist the last time I cleaned the viv out. Normally, I make a mound over by the heating pad because he likes to crawl under it and can adjust his position in relation to the heating pad. I wasn't too concerned about the substrate being wetter than normal, because I knew it would dry quickly enough over there and being close to shedding, could use the moisture anyways.

So over a period of a few days, I watched as Spaghetti dug his tunnels and in that corner, I realized that he had created two holes in the mound I had made. I kept watching and soon realized he had created a nice little burrow for himself, and as the substrate dried more, it kept it's shape.

I thought this was really cool, being able to provide him an opportunity to create his own personal space, not just relying on the ones provided for him. Maybe silly, but I think there is something special about that. Obviously, it won't last forever because it will become too dry, but I'm now on a mission to find a way/substance/method of him being able to create a more permanent burrow of his own design.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
albertagirl
Cute! Shredded aspen holds it's tunnels really well. Maybe if you provided him with a pile of aspen for him to dig around in? Or maybe a little aspen mixed into the eco earth would hold better? I haven't experimented with mixing substrates, so I'm just guessing. I use strictly aspen, but I've thought about giving my guys a tub of eco earth, because they do seem to dive right in whenever given the opportunity. It's pretty fun to watch them tunneling around like earthworms and try to predict where their heads will pop up next.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
spaghetti
Good idea! I'll have to get some aspen and see what I can come up with mixing with the earth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google