CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Hip hip horray! I finally got my first pip today!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #61
wildlifephotographer
18 out of egg and one remaining pipped. This is what I have...5 Amels, 4 Anery's, 3 ghost, 2 hypo, 2 snow, 2 normal and the one inside the egg I believe is another ghost.... They all seem very alert, active, and healthy so far. Most have calmed down nicely and all but the last two are already in shed. This is from a Normal mom, and a Silver Queen Ghost dad pairing.. so I take it they both have several het's to them because I was not expecting anything but normals.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #62
wildlifephotographer
So what exactly are the hets? I take it that Mom is het hypo, amel, anery, dad is homozgeous for hypo and anery, het amel and both are het snow? Let me know if I am right. Thanks. Will be posting pics tomorrow/today after I get up.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #63
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifephotographer View Post
So what exactly are the hets? I take it that Mom is het hypo, amel, anery, dad is homozgeous for hypo and anery, het amel and both are het snow? Let me know if I am right. Thanks. Will be posting pics tomorrow/today after I get up.
Hets are genes that they carry but you can see so yes you have it right but a snow is an amel and an anery. So to say they are het amel, anery and snow is redundant. So either just het snow or het amel or anery. Most anyone who is going to care about their hets should probably know that so I think either is fine.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #64
Hillybean
Congrats on the babies!

Can't wait to see better pictures of them all!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #65
wildlifephotographer
Thanks Hillybean and thank you Christen for yr help on the hets.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #66
wildlifephotographer
The two babies that I am keeping Ivory and Mercury.

Here are a couple of photos of Ivory and Mercury the two babies I am keeping. One is a snow and the other is a Hypo.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #67
Pasodama
Ivory and Mercury are very cute.
I like the bit of aberrant pattern that Mercury has.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #68
wildlifephotographer
Thank you! I like the pattern on Mercury also.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #69
SnakeAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalchow View Post
Hets are genes that they carry but you can see so yes you have it right but a snow is an amel and an anery. So to say they are het amel, anery and snow is redundant. So either just het snow or het amel or anery. Most anyone who is going to care about their hets should probably know that so I think either is fine.
Actually 'het' stands for hetrozygous, meaning that the genes of a certain gene pair are hetrozygous (differ from each other). In homozygous form they would be the same. Most of the time when a gene pair is hetrozygous, one means that one is 'normal' and the other one is 'mutant', like anery or amel or Tessera. It does have nothing to do with if you can see any effect of the gene on the outside, for example, hetrozygous Tessera (e.g. one Tessera and one normal pattern gene) snakes look the same as homozygous Tessera's (as far as we know now) since Tessera pattern gene is dominant over the normal pattern gene in that pair.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #70
wildlifephotographer
Even though Mercury was baby # 5 to come out of it's egg, she/he is the first to shed. When I woke yesturday afternoon I found it in the enclosure. The rest of yet to start shedding. I just got finished checking in on all of them some of them were so thirsty. I'm hoping they know where their water bowls/dishes are. I've showed all of them where they all are at but a few tonight seemed so thirsty like it was the first time they had had any water to drink. Most have cleared up so hopefully they will shed tomorrow or the next day. The last 4 are still in blue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google