CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding without brumation...

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
MysticExotics
I have produced eggs both brumating and not brumating. My largest clutch was non brumated (30 eggs total, 26 of them good, 4 slugs).
None of my females eat anything bigger than Jumbo adult mice, and that is for the ones 450-500grams and up.
The reason I haven't brumated the past few years, is lack of having a place to brumate them.
Even now, in the house that I bought a year ago, is smaller than I was looking for, but it was the only one at the time in decent shape.
Yes, the break is nice, but it's never a full break for me, due to having babies and other species that don't brumate.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
Cornsnakeluver89
Can you please tell me all of the steps of breeding them without brumation? That would be verrrrry helpful. I cant find any step by step websites either that tell you how tobreed corns without brumation.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnakeluver89 View Post
Can you please tell me all of the steps of breeding them without brumation? That would be verrrrry helpful. I cant find any step by step websites either that tell you how tobreed corns without brumation.
Nanci posted this earlier in the thread....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
They shed year 'round whether brumated or not, but I've noticed in my collection that the adults end up shedding about four times a year, and generally, although not on the exact same day, within several weeks of each other. The first shed of the new year is in February, for mine.

If you don't know when to start, a rule of thumb that has worked for me is, beginning with the female's first shed in the new year, put the snakes together every Sunday until they start to breed. That trickled down to me from Don Soderberg. I also only leave them together for 10-15 minutes, max of 60 before deciding they aren't ready yet.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
Cornsnakeluver89
So in the new year,once the they shed you put them together every sunday until you see them breed.i am assuming that I have to witness it 3 or 4 times to make sure.then I wait for the caution shed that tells me to put the lay box in and then I get the eggs in the incubator.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
Tavia
I bred one pair of corns this year without brumating and she laid 26 eggs, 25 fertile and one slug. I started pairing them together about once a week near the beginning of January but didn't observe any confirmed lockups until 2/5 and on 2/12, with no interest the next time they were paired after that, so I stopped pairing them up. She laid her eggs on 4/11 and they hatched on 6/11.

I didn't do anything special for them, other than to feed the female a bit more frequently than usual starting a month or so before pairing them and after the witnessed lockups, I injected her mouse with a mix of reptile vitamins and calcium once a month until a month or two after she'd laid her eggs, which doesn't seem to be a totally necessary thing but I'd heard another breeder does that and hasn't had any egg binding since they started doing that.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #26
Cornsnakeluver89
Thanks so much!i will ask some more questions if i need to!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #27
Cornsnakeluver89
What is the correct size and weight to breed? I have seen different answers from different websites.i want to know the real answer.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
hypnoctopus
At a minimum, 300 grams, 3 feet, and 3 years old for females. Waiting until they're larger/older than that won't hurt though. Makes can be bred younger and smaller.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Nanci
You should put the lay box in as soon as you stop pairing them, before she sheds.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
Cornsnakeluver89
Can someone please tell me what kind of incubator I should use for corn snakes? And also how to set it up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google