CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Who Knew? Getting my craft on!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
MindsEyeExotics
I tryed this and mine turned out a bit flimsy..but for a first attempt not too terrible. I shouldn't have made it so thin and large on the first try, but it was for my ball that goes through ceral boxes every other day so I need a more permanent hide box solution for her. So I'm gonna see how long it lasts and then make some better more creative ones if it works out. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #32
EmbersMom
Yeah, I have to work on getting my dough thicker, and I think baking them less and letting them cure (air dry) before painting instead of baking the crap out of them. I think if they are not totally baked in the oven, they can still cure for a few days. I think I baked mine to much - but in my defense they still seemed too soft in the oven and that is why I baked them so long - and then they were too brittle! I still have one (the 8 X 8 brownie pan that Ember is using. It has held up well and he loves it. It's his cool side hide (having the home-made ones under the heat lamp caused the spray paint to bubble up, so I use them on the cool side). Flame is currently using a lava log and a basket. He loves both.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #33
spyderk
I made these yesterday! 5 hides, 3 tiny ones for the tiny ones, and then another in one size up and a size up from that. I need to buy the waterproof coating and stone spray, but that's okay, it'll give these time to dry. I know I baked them longer than what was called for, so hopefully they'll be okay. I'll post pictures when they are done!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #34
MindsEyeExotics
Also, I used the "metallic texture" spray paint because I couldn't find the stone. Is that safe for snakes once it's dried and aired out? It just smells so strong right now. I don't want to harm them for the silly fact of decorating their cage for my sake. A cardboard tube is just as function, but just not as pretty or fun to make haha. Just double checking

Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
EmbersMom
I am sure it will be OK. After 3 days OUTSIDE airing out, the spray paint smell was almost totally gone. The stone paint was just as potent. I can't smell it at all now.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
MindsEyeExotics
Here are mine..they look a little lumpy, but they are pretty sturdy feeling my ball pythons seem to like them so far. I will now go make some elaborately decorated smaller ones for the baby corns. These were more or less the test batch, I used food coloring for the two smaller ones.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
mario5021089
i tried this a few hours ago and it's almost a complete disaster.. i think lower temperature and longer periods should be used instead of higher and for less time.. it got really burned up.. but i made another mistake.. accidentally used self raising flour and the top inflated a bit and when i touched it crashed.. it now has a weird look but i guess for the first try its ok... i used an expired flour i found home after coming back from summer holiday so i didnt waste any money and gained some experience for the next one!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #38
EmbersMom
I used all purpose flour, not sure if that is self-rising or not! And I really like the ones with the food coloring! Cool idea!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google