CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Ghetto Hatchlingt Rack!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
Doubt you'll have many requests. Since, you know. Most of us actually care about our snakes.
Yup, I agree completely.

Cornboy, you have truly damaged yourself here.....

Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
dave partington
Maybe this will help
How to build your own racks <---click it

Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
gluttony32

I cant help but come back to this ridiculous thread....is that a meat thermometer in one of the shoe boxes?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #34
Tula_Montage
Next thing you know each hatchling will have a busted up pick up truck, a deck chair and a pile of tiny beer cans in it's box (aka trailer). Ghetto trash indeed!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
Tara80
In all honesty, I've been in both the electrical and engineering trade for over 15 years and this is something I would never do. You've got way too many dangerous variables here; not just for your snakes but for your house. Go ask an inspector if you do not believe us.
Also, the info you provided is incorrect. Flash point of paper is around 451 degrees Fahrenheit, the flash point of (MOST) wood products STARTS around 575 degrees F, and that's after all moisture in the wood has been reduced. This does not take into consideration ink on paper or cardboard or lacquer/varnish on wood products.

You are asking for massive trouble, in the event of an accident. Electricity is not always reliable, You could have internal wiring errors in your plugs and cords that you aren't even aware of, also, you can overload your heat tape.

I am not trying to be rude in any sense of the term. I am voicing this due to my knowledge and concern for you and your animals.
I do think a safety/electrical inspector funded by your county or state can adequately provide you proper feedback if you do not want to see what we have to say here.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
nocturnalheaven
I have nothing to say about the crazy use of card board as a means of housing snakes but I love the link you posted for the snake rack Dave! I've been looking into a building a rack myself and love this picture guide!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #37
CornBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara80 View Post
In all honesty, I've been in both the electrical and engineering trade for over 15 years and this is something I would never do. You've got way too many dangerous variables here; not just for your snakes but for your house. Go ask an inspector if you do not believe us.
Also, the info you provided is incorrect. Flash point of paper is around 451 degrees Fahrenheit, the flash point of (MOST) wood products STARTS around 575 degrees F, and that's after all moisture in the wood has been reduced. This does not take into consideration ink on paper or cardboard or lacquer/varnish on wood products.

You are asking for massive trouble, in the event of an accident. Electricity is not always reliable, You could have internal wiring errors in your plugs and cords that you aren't even aware of, also, you can overload your heat tape.

I am not trying to be rude in any sense of the term. I am voicing this due to my knowledge and concern for you and your animals.
I do think a safety/electrical inspector funded by your county or state can adequately provide you proper feedback if you do not want to see what we have to say here.
OK!
There's a post I'll answer to, thanks for your civility, it's a breath of fresh air!

Since you mentioned qualifications, I've been an engineer for 26 years, besides other things. I have all the tools and even a lot of the materials on hand to make a rack out whatever material I choose. Even metal or masonry. I didn't choose cardboard as a last resort, I assessed my needs, my time, and my expense.

You're point is well taken on the different flash points of paper and wood. However, I'd like to remind you that there is another major component, the plastic tubs. And some use plastic as a rack material. The melting point of plastics is significantly lower than any of the above mentioned temperatures.

In the event of an overheating incident, the chain of events would be, heat source overheats, bad things start happening to snakes, plastic tubs melt, worse things happen to snakes, rack burns.

That would be the SAME order of events for paper OR wood. The marginal difference in the flash time would already be after the damage was done.

No-one has a problem with the safety of the plastic component, so why go beyond the point of that?

And thanks, our house circuits are in order, none of the problems you mentioned!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #38
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornBoy View Post
OK!

You're point is well taken on the different flash points of paper and wood.

Now this is just a sticking point, but I assume that most engineers are very well educated people, at least the ones I met have been.
So how can you not know the difference between a possessive "your" and a contraction for you are, "you're".
They have two entirely different meanings!

I mean what you literally just said was "You are point is well taken on the different flash points of paper and wood".

Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #39
rich333
I'd Like a few more Pics of this rack system.....I'd also like to know if you keep your mice & Gerbils in cardboard boxes as well? Would it not have been easier to just stack the tubs on top of one another?? Piece of wood behind the stack of tubs with heat cable attached and regulated??

Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #40
starsevol
The truly amazing thing is, if ALL of us are wrong and he is right no harm comes to us, our animals, our homes, our families......

But if ALL of us are right and he is wrong....well still no harm comes to us, our animals, our homes or our families.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google