CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Snake in a Hotel

Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
compasslogic
Snake in a Hotel

So I show dogs and have a big show coming up. Dog show people on facebook are spreading around this post and image warning everyone showing at this event to avoid one of the hotels. The main reason being that a snake came crawling into the bathroom of someone who stayed at this hotel previously. The dog show people are all freaking out about how dangerous this is, because as well all know too well the general consensus of the public is that all snakes are deadly and terrifying.

Anyway, this definitely looks like a corn snake to me. Thoughts? And it definitely doesn't look like a wild type. This looks to me to clearly be a pet morph of a corn, and given that the hotel in question is pet-friendly, I bet this is simply the escaped pet snake of someone staying in a nearby room. I did put in my comment on facebook saying this to everyone to calm their nerves. I can see why this still sounds like a less-than-great hotel, but at least I can rule out a snake infestation.

What do you guys think?

Here's a link to a video of the snake (I hope this link works, because I can't edit posts):

https://www.facebook.com/MGowen/vide...4615733065586/

Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
yup definitely a corn

Old 11-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
Nanci
Looks more like maybe a gray rat snake to me. Brooksville Florida? Any kind of snake could wander in there. Snakes get in people's houses here ALL the time. I hope it got relocated outside safely, not killed.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
ImraanM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Looks more like maybe a gray rat snake to me. Brooksville Florida? Any kind of snake could wander in there. Snakes get in people's houses here ALL the time. I hope it got relocated outside safely, not killed.

Ya I was gonna say regardless of which it is it's clearly harmless. I hope they didn't kill it!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
daddio207
Yeah I think it's a grey rat also. Looks like my girl Earline a grey rat snake. Head shape on rat snakes are a bit more triangular than corns. Never seen one in the wild or hotel room but I keep 4 in my collection

Old 11-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
DollysMom
I read the comments and so many were saying it was a copperhead or that they knew it was "poisonous" from the shape of the head. Fortunately a lot of folks were trying to correct them.

Reptiles, insects, and other things are a part of life in warm climates. They happen. Would they have been freaking out if it had been an anole on the wall? Sheesh.

If there are other cleanliness or repair issues with the hotel that's different, but all the things I've mentioned can all wander in. It's how the hotel handles things when you report them that counts. In this case, humane relocation would be the proper course of action.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
compasslogic
Yes thankfully a lot of people were trying to correct those who claimed it was a dangerous copperhead. And yes, this is Brookesville, FL. Unfortunately I don't have any info on what happened to the snake after it was found

Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
nicolefowler2005
Honestly how often do you hear of an ACTUAL poisonous snake causing much of a ruckus? Usually most encounters are from humans being in their environment not the other way around! It just goes to show you that people always automatically think the worst when they don't have the right information and knowledge!!

(There are always exceptions but 80% of the time people call a snake poisonous it really isn't)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google