CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Heating Problems HELP!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Colorguardchic19
Heating Problems HELP!

I live in a basement. I haven't had problems with heating until now. I have a 20 gal tank with an appropriate sized uth. I use a day lamp for light for her as well. I've always been able to keep warm side around 85 with thermostat. I currently have thermostat set at 108, the highest I can get and the tank is only at 75 on the warm side (as read from 2 digital thermometers) I was worried this might happen ass it get significantly colder in there in the winter. My light burnt out a couple days ago without my notice, but that normally helps hold Temps steady too. I wanna make sure my baby is nice, safe and warm. I thought of getting another small uth and putting it near the current one to add some more heat and I can adjust the thermostat as needed with the current temp to hold where I need. Is this a good idea or any other ideas? Currently have a towel over the top to help escaping heat, but it's not working too well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Colorguardchic19
Also thought I should say that my tank is on a stand with an open bottom so it's only held on the edges with nothing to trap in the heat below between the tank and anything else.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Dexterune
I'm having the same problem right now. I have my two corns in shoebox size sterilite containers on 3 inch flex watt heat tape but can't quite get above 80 degrees on the warm side. I've added a small space heater to the room on low that has helped bump up my temps to the upper 80s but not really getting the cool spot below that as well. It's frustrating and I can't imagine what my electric bill is going to be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
Dexterune
I've heard of using the CHE bulbs also instead of the regular bulbs. Might want to try that.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
Dexterune
Oh I also learned from a ball python forum how to cut cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and duct tape and cover about half to 3/4 of screen top lid if you have that on your tank. Helps hold in the the heat and humidity. I would think adding in a second heating pad on a thermostat or rheostat would be fine too. Maybe also find a way to trap the heat from the open space below (within safe measures of course). Hope this helps. We are always constantly worried about our babies aren't we lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorguardchic19 View Post
I live in a basement.
What is the ambient temp in the basement?

Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Colorguardchic19
Around 60 usually

Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
Colorguardchic19
I seem top have stabilized it. I got her bulb replaced. I got an additional small uth. I have that set with the timer for the light while I'm not home. When I am home, the space heater is on and I'm able to maintain a solid 82 degrees with that now. Hopefully it continues to work

Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
daddio207
Are both UTH's and the bulb controlled by the thermostat ?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Colorguardchic19
Blub is not a heater therefore doesn't beed to be controlled. The main uth if on a thermostat, but the additional one is meant for 1 to 5 gal tank so doesn't produce much. I've lowered the thermostat for the main one to keep the Temps good. Seems to be working well for now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google