CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Imprinting Scent on Captive-Bred Eggs?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #71
Susan
I'm still waiting to see when my clutches will be hatching. Having incubated the first clutch for 2 weeks at normal incubation temps has thrown my estimations off for the rest of my clutches. About the next 4 or 5 did have some time at 85F, but not much, a week at the most. Once the next clutch pips, I'll be better able to judge when to start scenting the couple of clutches I had planned to do that for. Until then, I can't help you.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #72
dwyn127
I've got eggs from a 1.1 Upper Keys het "C" that are due to pip around August 26. BOTH parents needed anole scented pinkys for the 1st three dozen meals before accepting fuzzies so I will definitely be trying this.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #73
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Mike, did actually you do the scent imprinting in the egg?
To a degree, the annulata, I did it about 8 times before they hatched and the alterna I only did it a couple times. I decided to wholesale and just kinda stopped, know what I mean?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #74
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127 View Post
I've got eggs from a 1.1 Upper Keys het "C" that are due to pip around August 26. BOTH parents needed anole scented pinkys for the 1st three dozen meals before accepting fuzzies so I will definitely be trying this.

On day 60 I'll be in the air headed for Daytona so I'll be starting this on Monday to give me a good 2 weeks. I've seen suggestions for a pinky slushy, yuck, and for the water used to defrost the pinkys, pinky broth, if you will. I plan to use a damp, not wet Q-tip to do the imprinting. My concern with the slushy is will 2 weeks of this in an 82* controlled environment create the smell of rotting mouse guts? And would the pinky broth more accurately duplicate what the snake will smell when the pinky is right in front of him or is it not strong enough?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #75
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
they take a sponge dipped in water that the guts are soaking in, and draw a bead across the tops of the eggs, allowing the scent to permeate into the eggs.
Well, I'm into day 5 of using this procedure. I put a pinky in a small souffle cup, added about a tablespoon full of water and used a fork to allow some pinky innards to mix in the water. I just dip a Q-tip into the water and lightly brush one single stroke onto the shell. Each day, I open the container and smell and so far there's no sign or smell of anything going bad. Then I immediately put the souffle cup back in the freezer.

....to be continued.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #76
Mrs InsaneOne
I didn't try scenting any of our eggs this year, but I've been following the thread diligently. Looking forward to seeing what kind of results you get Danny, and anyone else whose followed through to the end.

Glad to know that the scenting so far hasn't created a putrid stench in the egg box too - how ventilated is the container you are incubating in?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #77
ArpeggioAngel
Both clutches of my graybands were very late this year - not due to hatch until mid-late September. I will still be giving this a shot though and hoping for good results.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #78
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs InsaneOne View Post
how ventilated is the container you are incubating in?
It's got one slit large enough for the thermometer probe wire and that's about it.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #79
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127 View Post
It's got one slit large enough for the thermometer probe wire and that's about it.
OK, so there's really not much of an airflow, but it still isn't being overpowered by the smell of the mouse. That is good to know.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #80
Blue Apple Herps
I just saw this thread (thanks to the WIR) and this is very interesting. I had a clutch with about 40% being tricky feeders. I think I'll probably try this with the pairing's clutch next year and see what happens.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google