CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

...sigh! Fat Boy? or Gravid Gal?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
sierraherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I have a Charcoal that was given to me as a "male" that would not eat. I got it home, thawed a pink, tossed it in the little guy's cup and presto he ate. I offered to bring the animal back to the owner because obviously it ate just fine but he didn't want it. So 3 years later having never bother to sex it because I wasn't using it in any breeding projects she lays eggs. Eleven large infertile eggs. Man I was bent! All that wasted effort on her part. Given her determination to reproduce I'll breed her this year. I've also had females produce fertile eggs having not been bred since a fall hook-up. That's easily 8 month old sperm! Like I said before, they don't all follow the rules.
Terri
OMG!! SO you are saying... female snakes are like birds?? I raised birds for years and the females of many species will lay eggs having NEVER been with a male... So, if that is true, and IF Whyte IS female... And we know at least 4 - 5 yrs old... Wouldn't she have laid blank clutches before now? Or is it just the stimulation of smelling other snakes in the air that may have gotten her going? Well.............. Sounds like I better give her and our ONLY male more time together??? Just to make sure? I mean seriously... OVER 1/3 more like her BOTTOM HALF is HUGE!!! Do blank eggs get that big? And when does it become a bad IDEA for them to be togeather, as far as... Will she lay with him there? Will he eat the eggs if we dont catch him in time? ......
...................sigh!
Now I am back to "What do I do now?!?!" lmao!!!
So I repeat (with a smile) AAAHHHHRRRRGGG!!!! lol
......and help?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
Silvergrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I have a Charcoal that was given to me as a "male" that would not eat. I got it home, thawed a pink, tossed it in the little guy's cup and presto he ate. I offered to bring the animal back to the owner because obviously it ate just fine but he didn't want it. So 3 years later having never bother to sex it because I wasn't using it in any breeding projects she lays eggs. Eleven large infertile eggs. Man I was bent! All that wasted effort on her part. Given her determination to reproduce I'll breed her this year. I've also had females produce fertile eggs having not been bred since a fall hook-up. That's easily 8 month old sperm! Like I said before, they don't all follow the rules.
Terri
Interesting! In my own experience, for one reason or another I never seem to breed girls until they're 4 years old, and so far none of them have thrown me a "virgin clutch" yet XD I figured it might be possible though, good to know!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
Silvergrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraherps View Post
OMG!! SO you are saying... female snakes are like birds?? I raised birds for years and the females of many species will lay eggs having NEVER been with a male... So, if that is true, and IF Whyte IS female... And we know at least 4 - 5 yrs old... Wouldn't she have laid blank clutches before now? Or is it just the stimulation of smelling other snakes in the air that may have gotten her going? Well.............. Sounds like I better give her and our ONLY male more time together??? Just to make sure? I mean seriously... OVER 1/3 more like her BOTTOM HALF is HUGE!!! Do blank eggs get that big? And when does it become a bad IDEA for them to be togeather, as far as... Will she lay with him there? Will he eat the eggs if we dont catch him in time? ......
...................sigh!
Now I am back to "What do I do now?!?!" lmao!!!
So I repeat (with a smile) AAAHHHHRRRRGGG!!!! lol
......and help?
I suppose it's possible she could be ovulating... but if she's not eating, probably too late to put her with a male! You could always check if there's (mutal) interest, t hough.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
sierraherps
Yep.. Compared to how "She" acted towards the male -vs- another female... She is DEFFINETLY more interested in the male!! With the female, she twitched when touched, but spent her whole time with head in the corner, or running away from the contact! LOL

At this point, I think from what you all have said... I will give her a couple visits with our male over the next couple days, but not leave him with her, keep her "egg laying box" ready... And HOPE LIKE CRAZY!!!!

You know, this "patience" thing is becomming a ROYALE PAIN IN THE....AZZ!
LMAO!!!!

I will update this thread as needed.. And keep checking for any new posts... I just ask EVERYONE out there to PLEASE send POSSITIVE PREGO VIBES in my WHYTSNAKES DIRECTION!!! LOL And much Love to YOU ALL for this and the MANY other things I am SURE I will be asking you in the future!
What can I say....
I LOVE YA MAN!! (and WOMAN!)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #25
bekers71
If you feel bumps like marbles then she is probably a pregnant she. This has probably been asked some where already and I missed it, but when did the snake shed last? And IMO I'd stop putting the male with her. At this point and time it's best to just put a lid on the lay box and leave her alone.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
RobbiesCornField
Here's a photo of my girl last year when she was gravid.

That was about a month before her pre-lay shed.

IMO, you've got a heavy female on your hands. Won't be too long before you look in the lay box and see this!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
sierraherps
Well thanks bunches to everyone!!! Even my Hubby is now CONVINCED "HE" is a "SHE"! And no worries about not putting the Upper Keys male back in... Just noticed last night he is gettin ready to shed... So gonna leave him to it, (no wonder he's been grumpy-feeling guilty for not noticing sooner actually!)
And now that he is our ONLY male... He needs to be in shape! LOL 2 more "proven" females waiting for his attention! (We bought 2 females and one male in Jan, back when we thought Whytsnake was a male...OOPS!)

Sooo... all that's left for me to do now is "WAIT AND HOPE" and ......NOT GO BONKERS IN THE MEANTIME! lmao! Although, our one female "Katchy" pretty much keeps me busy right now... Trying to keep her from knocking herself out on the top and sides of her viv... WOW! Who would have ever thought something as "cool" as reptiles, could exibit such neurotic behavior! Well, ok, you PRO's YEAH! lol But me?? The Newby? Nope! LOL But I'ma Learnin! LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
sierraherps
Opps... Forgot the "Rest" of the Up-Date... For those watching this saga play out along with me... Whytsnake has "Retired" into the "Laying Box" entirely! First time she has put her WHOLE body in... And she has not come out for about an hour now...!!!!!

THIS IS SO EXCITING I COULD JUST SCREAM! ! ! ! lmao.... But I am attempting to keep my head... As I know... It could still not be time yet...

........................BUT IT WOULD BE GREAT IF IT IS! LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
dizeedoo
Ms. Whytsnake must be very happy you noticed her bumps - how adorable that she is now retreat to her laying box. The rest is up to nature now. I'm just so envious. I've read all these did they / didn't they get it on posts and you guys are blissfully looking the other way so to speak and Ms. Whytsnake is just taking care of business.

LOL... your only boy has some work ahead of him I wonder if that's considered a good deal in snake kingdom... beautiful ladies everywhere he looks.

haha. this is one helluva funny story.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #30
sierraherps
Well... I started to loose hope when SHe came out of the laying box, and then got worried because her last 1/4 was not looking as rounded... BUT THEN! Good Ol' Dale posted the JELLO BUTT link, and "I'm MUCH BETTER NOW!" LMAO!

Everything appears as it should be.... sigh! Now... I am wondering if I should go borrow a heating pad from the neighbor, just in case she DOES lay... That would keep the warmth up until Sean gets home and can set up the incubator.... Right??? (she asked squeemishly!)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google