CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My future display

Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Shiari
I have the door swing down on mine because then I can have both hands free. If the door swings up, you'll have to be holding it up the entire time with one hand.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Marica
That looks awesome. Only addition I could think of would be a litter dam at the front if you are planning on using a loose substrate like aspen so it doesn't fall out. Also, another suggestion for the floor, we just had a custom unit built and the guy installed linoleum in the bottom.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #13
CaptBogart
I like it, but I'd make the top one all one cage with a slot to divide it into two, so you'll have somewhere to put a larger snake.
Most displays are lined in melamine to prevent water damage and can be purchased in sheets at any home improvement store.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
raynefyre
Recently I went back and changed my design, after many people's helpful inputs on the drawing.

It's 5'6" tall x 5'1.5" wide x about 18" deep

The top and bottom rows of display are 30" x 12" x 18".
The middle row of display cases are 30" x 18" x 18".

Below is a cabinet, which would be hinged on the inside on the bottom so the door could fold down just like the display doors. I would only use it for access to the cables and thermostat. To hold it closed I would probably use magnetic latches like this one:

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
raynefyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marica View Post
That looks awesome. Only addition I could think of would be a litter dam at the front if you are planning on using a loose substrate like aspen so it doesn't fall out. Also, another suggestion for the floor, we just had a custom unit built and the guy installed linoleum in the bottom.
I want to use 1/2" melamine and the border around the bottom of each level where the hinges are is 3" tall. that way I get that lip for substrate, etc. Sorry I didn't clarify that before.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
petpro553
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda007 View Post
PS:

Is it easier to have the doors swing down vs. up? I've seen people make them both ways, but was wondering if there was a "plus" to this design that they weren't mentioning.
The design looks awesome! Couple things I thought of:
1-doors that swing up have a potential to come down, on your head, on your snake. We have upward swinging doors at the shop and Ive been knocked damn near unconscious once. Better go down IMO.
2-My racks are made of wood coated with white (the name escapes me)
that might work. Ive also seen metal trays custom cut to fit with 2" lips, then the tray being siliconed in.

Either way it looks like it will be really nice~best of luck. And if your trying to think of what we would all like for Christmas I think that's the way to go. One each member should do!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Ruderacer
Some of the other plans out there use melamine for the floors. Have you looked into that? Can't wait to see the finished product. Who know I may have to put one on order from you. Or at least buy the plans.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
amanda007
I thought that melamine was deemed unsuitable for use near pets, because it was toxic and could cause renal failure. That, and isn't it unsuitable for use near heat sources for long periods of time, because it causes the melamine to decompose? Hm...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
raynefyre
Now I'm getting really confused. O.o Lol.

I first started with the idea of using OSB board then I was told melamine is better. Now melamine is bad? I don't know what to use anymore.. except someone told me about using stuff called expanded pvc or something? He said it would create a lighter, better quality product.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
snakepunk
melamine

Brian Barczyk (BHB Reptiles/snakebytes.tv) uses melamine racks and has over 30,000 snakes. I would think that is fine.

Personally, I just use osb, cheaper and not nearly as heavy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google