CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn ate pinky while it was still alive

Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Saml8
Corn ate pinky while it was still alive

I picked up a few pinkys that had been "pre-killed" with co2... got them home and one was still alive so I fed that one to my snake however she did not constrict it, just ate it while it was alive. Besides that being a bit difficult to watch should I be concerned that it was still alive?
**because she is 23 grams I went ahead and fed her a second pinky that was pre-killed.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
crackerhead
No worries, especially with pinkies. That is pretty common.

Terri

Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
blacktip
Yep, young corns are usually too lazy to constrict pinkies

Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Saml8
Ok, thanks!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
67temp
12 of my 15 corns I had gotten when they were young. They had to learn how to constrict. They went from eating them live to whipping the prey around the tank then to progressed to constricting. I've tested 10 of mine on rats (pinks and pups). Every single one of them got confused and just ate it live without constricting.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Twolunger
I really don't know what the fascination is with corns constricting their prey. The most important thing is that your corns eat, period. Forget about constricting and if you are going to worry, make it over something important. I have two adult males and seven females that never constrict. Why should they, the prey is dead, not fleeing. If you want to induce constricting, offer your frozen thawed warmed, and with tongs. Let the corn approach the mouse but keep moving it away until the corn strikes and grabs it. Usually they constrict the mouse, or will eventually.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Saml8
Wasn't worried over not constricting just wasn't sure if I should be concerned that she swallowed it still kicking.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google