CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

still hiding

Old 11-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
1_and_only
still hiding

i posted on here a couple of weeks a go about my snake hiding under the substrate. it is about 9-10 months old and have had it now for about a month. when i first got the snake it never came out and i thought she would of got used to her new surroundings by now? but she still hides under the substrate all day and just pokes her head out during the night.the only time i may see her is when i put a mouse near her in the viv (which i know no is wrong) she will eat that then go straight back to hiding. and its not cos she is cold because she is allways on the cold(74f) side never on the hot(80f) side?
plz help

Old 11-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
danvega
It sounds like your snake is exhibiting normal behavior. If you give them substrate (aspen) that they can burrow in, 9 times out of ten, they will burrow in the substrate. Corn snakes [by nature] are seclusive snakes; they are most active in the early morning and late night. Sounds like your snake is doing what it wants,which feels the most secure to it.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
MegF.
Mine burrow all the time in the substrate and I've had them for years. Why are you feeding on substrate? Are you not taking your snake out for a reason?

Old 11-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Kvlt
yeah you shouldnt feed it in the viv...feed her in a rubbermaid or similar container, then there's no risk of her swallowing aspen...also she might think its feeding time when your hand goes in there.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
ratsncorns
I have had my snake for over a month and he does the same thing. I wouldnt worry about it too much. I know we would like to see our snakes out and about, but if they like hiding under the substrate, that is where they would rather be than be out in the open.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Slippery Ernie
Would you get out of bed if someone set breakfast, lunch and dinner on your nightstand every day?

I gotta think that if you stop feeding him, sooner or later he'll come out looking for food. I think my snake is more brave when he's hungry.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
1_and_only
the reason i feed her in the viv is because i havent really handled her that much and plus i dont like pulling her out from underneath the substrate. but on the next feed i will do it out of the viv. shall i just put the fuzzie in a container then put the snake in aswell?
one last thing regarding the feeding it is 10 months old and on fuzzies i have just moved it up from two pinkies a week. shall i feed it 1 fuzzie a week for 3 weeks then up it to two a week? then onto a bigger size? thanks for the help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google