CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #41
Almase
Thanks Tyflier, that saved me alot of writing haha.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #42
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almase
Wait wait wait. Before you even start in on me. Let me tell you I do take care of my animals. My cats are barn cats. They live on their own. The only thing I do is feed them. If they go out in the woods and get screwed up from a coyote or something, I aint takin the damn cat to a vet, if its gonna die I aint gonna pay for some medicine to put it to sleep, im gonna shoot the damn thing. But of course I dont REALLY own a cat anyways. I mean who owns a cat? They come and go as they please. As for the hamsters, I just CANNOT see paying $100 because it has a lump on its side or something. THat is stupid. Call it cruel if you want, I'll find out what the lump is but its not going to vet. If its fatal I'll kill it myself. It has nothing to do with cruelty, it has to do with people being raised to soft today. Besides that im not rich. I have horses and hounds and they come WAY before a hamster or a cat. So dont tell me I dont take care of my animals, or I am cruel without knowing me there buddy.
I am NOT starting in on you. I only stated that I found your post disturbing and stated the possible repercussions for not providing vet care to an animal. I realize barn cats are not pets, and even getting an injured one into a cat carrier for transport is nearly impossible even if you wanted to provide care for it. I don't know what the laws are in regards to barn cats but I would much rather see one shot and killed quickly than left to suffer with injuries or a fatal illness.
I also never said you don't take care of your animals. Please show me what I said that little nugget?
Also, rodents are not currently covered under ANY humane laws. I still believe that even lowly rodents should be treated humanely and killed as painlessly as possible when their time comes.
I'm also not a "buddy". If anything, I am a "buddette" AND old enough to be your mother!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #43
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtusk
No, I agree with the mouse stuff (and possibly on the cat stuff, I don't know). What I'm saying is that in my case my whole family had those animals as pets and we felt we had to take care of them. In general I would not pay much of anything to take care of a mouse that was not a pet.

As for the other stuff I'm not sure and that's your choice, so I don't want to get into an arguement.
Don't sweat it...I don't argue. I might debate(alot), but I don't argue...t's pointless. Nothing wrong with different opinions.

FWIW...I agree with you on the "pets" classification. Trust me...if anything was going wrong with one of my snakes, which I classify as companions AND pets, I would spend whatever is necessary to get it fixed, regardless of the cost in comparison with the cost of the snakes. The value is in the love, not the money. My mice are different. They are not pets. They are a means to an end...they simply provide food for my REAL pets. They were purchased with the full understanding that they may very well not last more than a couple of years, and that's OK...

Old 02-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #44
Almase
Whoa lady, I didnt ask if you were old enough to be my mom. Im not trying to hook up with you or nothing. No need to tell me you're too old. Then whats the problem?I think I said earlier somewhere that if an animal is too sick I'd shoot it. Im sure I did. A rodent is a rodent. You said basic care includes the vet. I said I wouldnt take a rodent to a vet so there for you did say I dont take care of my animals. Now show me where I said I would let the animal suffer to death like you seem to be implying. I just said I wouldnt take it to the vet. And again, somwhere I wrote that I'd shoot the animal. Or maybe I didnt write that because I thought people would get offended by it. I dont know.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #45
starsevol
You never stated that you would shoot an animal to end its suffering in THIS thread. And THIS is the thread I read.
I also stated that vet care was considered basic care UNDER HUMANE LAW.
That was not me passing judgement on you, that is the definition of basic care under the law.
As far as telling you what the law is, that was in regards to the CAT.

Also please show the quote where I specifically told you that you don't take care of your animals. Please use the quote feature.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #46
tyflier
By Almase:
Quote:
...My cats are barn cats. They live on their own. The only thing I do is feed them. If they go out in the woods and get screwed up from a coyote or something, I aint takin the damn cat to a vet, if its gonna die I aint gonna pay for some medicine to put it to sleep, im gonna shoot the damn thing....
by starsevol:
Quote:
...I am a firm believer in RESPONSIBILITY. No matter the cost of an animal, it deserves basic care. Basic care includes vet care in case of illness or injury....
The implication of Almase not taking responsibility for his animals is there.

Now...let's please stop arguing about it, before it gets out of hand, and enjoy the conversations...please .

Old 02-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #47
Almase
Look lady, I think you're getting the story mixed up. You said that basic care crap, (which I give "basic" care to the animals that arent rodents). You said rodents do not have any humane laws or whatever it was you said. So I am not doing anything wrong at all. The cats like I said, are barn cats, they are not indoor cats. I do not own them. I just feed them and let them live around the barn because they catch mice from eating the grain and chewing stuff up. So all my animals do get taken to the vet except for the ones which you said I am not required to take to the vet (rodents) because there is no law for it. But let me make it clear that if I had to take them to the vet, I still wouldnt. I'd kill the little bastards myself rather than get a $300 vet bill for a $2 mouse that is going to die soon anyways. Do I make myself perfectly clear to you so that we do not have anymore misunderstandings?

Old 02-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #48
diamondlil
Quote:
Look lady, I think you're getting the story mixed up. You said that basic care crap, (which I give "basic" care to the animals that arent rodents). You said rodents do not have any humane laws or whatever it was you said. So I am not doing anything wrong at all. The cats like I said, are barn cats, they are not indoor cats. I do not own them. I just feed them and let them live around the barn because they catch mice from eating the grain and chewing stuff up. So all my animals do get taken to the vet except for the ones which you said I am not required to take to the vet (rodents) because there is no law for it. But let me make it clear that if I had to take them to the vet, I still wouldnt. I'd kill the little bastards myself rather than get a $300 vet bill for a $2 mouse that is going to die soon anyways. Do I make myself perfectly clear to you so that we do not have anymore misunderstandings?
Regardless of your personal feelings about animals, you could perhaps stop and think a little about your style of writing on here, because you stated yourself you've been banned from other forums. There's no need to use bad language and it will result in a ban

Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #49
tyflier
Quote:
Relax...there is no reason to get angry about a simple misunderstanding and difference of opinion. Being this aggressive towards a fellow forum member isn't going to solve any problems or accomplish any goals, so please, just chill out...

Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #50
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier
By Almase:

by starsevol:

The implication of Almase not taking responsibility for his animals is there.

Now...let's please stop arguing about it, before it gets out of hand, and enjoy the conversations...please .
tyflier pointed this out. I formally apoligize for this. In the initial post I believed that the barn cat was a housepet, for one thing. From what you posted, you said an animal that cost less than $20 won't ever see a vet. Well, most housecats and many dogs kept as pets cost less than $20 and THAT was what I found disturbing. Understand now?

You never said that you wouldnt take the hamsters to the vet. You said it wasn't worth the gas money to take them to a pet shop. That was slightly disturbing to me, but not much! I'm not a huge hamster person anyway. The biggest problem you might have in feeding your snake the hamsters is the chance that your snake might like the hamsters so much, it might not want mice anymore. (I've heard it happens).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google