• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What can I feed my Corn Snake?

If you don't believe check online yourself... type "do wild Corn snakes really eat eggs" or somethin like that and you'll see I'm right...
But there are other sites that don't include that info, and that don't recommend feeding eggs to your corn. Unless you have personal experience of your own corns eating eggs with no ill-effects, maybe don't recommend it. Just simply say something like;
" I've never fed my corns, but this site www.whatever it is says it can be done"

You're right about us being unable to digest gum, so I agree with you there.

You're not listening mate. If one website says that Corn's eat eggs in the wild, then that doesn't make it right, because no offence, the web page could have been written by someone with similar knowledge to you.

Corn snakes do not have the necessary adaptations to be able to efficiently eat eggs. Not only do they have teeth, but they lack the bony potrusions on the underside of the spine that are used to slash open the egg. The snakes that do feed on eggs regurgitate the shell, Corn snakes couldn't do this because they can't regurgitate just the shell, all of the stomach acid and helpful bacteria would come up with it. This is of course detrimental to the snake's health. If an egg was eaten, it could cause gut impaction and even if the shell was somehow broken, the pieces of broken shell would shred their innards to... umm (trying to think of a good metaphor here lol)... shreddings (yeah that'll do).

I hope that helps

David

Last edited:
I did take the few minutes to look and what I read was quail egg, no comparison in size to chicken egg. The places I found also said it not totally advisable. King snakes will eat other snakes eggs or slugs (non-fertile snake eggs). I fear Cody you are taking bits and pieces of what you read.

Wow that was rude and hurtful, that makes me feel like I'm stupid...:(:cry: I feel studpid now, and a bad person, I meant to say that his corn snake couldn't digest them. We can't digest gum, dont believe me? look online..., You will see I'm right. He simpily asked for advise on what he could feed his snake, so I gave him the advise... That's what he asked for right? You and Roy please stop flamming me. I know I dont know everything, and went a *tad* bit overboard on giving him advise.

Um, I don't know V Various but I do know "Roy" and agree with both of them. Yes he asked for advice, but you don't GIVE someone advice unless it is something you would do with your own snakes or is something you've actually TRIED. "Roy" has over 70 snakes of at least ...well 7 species that I just thought of off the top of my head. He has been keeping snakes longer than you have been on this earth. People like him are the kind of people you want to get advice from, believe me, I ask him for advice all the time. (And probably drive him batty lol), even though I have kept snakes for 12 years.
And for the record, no one was "flaming" you. Not yet anyway...

But there are other sites that don't include that info, and that don't recommend feeding eggs to your corn. Unless you have personal experience of your own corns eating eggs with no ill-effects, maybe don't recommend it. Just simply say something like;
" I've never fed my corns, but this site www.whatever it is says it can be done"

Number 1, just because they don't metchion Eggs as food for Corn Snakes on that site doesen't mean they dont eat them. Number 2, Also I bought a book at petco, written by someone who has 20+ years of experince [be4 u were born + 6 years] with Reptiles, Amphibians, and Corn Snakes, and he says it's more than healthy 4 your corn snake to eat Quail and Chick eggs, and that it doese wonders for your snake. You might be able to find his book online, it's called "Corn and Rat Snakes, by Philip Purser." Number 3 why do u just tend to belive the sites that dont have Eggs as a possible food choice?

I did take the few minutes to look and what I read was quail egg, no comparison in size to chicken egg. The places I found also said it not totally advisable. King snakes will eat other snakes eggs or slugs (non-fertile snake eggs). I fear Cody you are taking bits and pieces of what you read.

No, susang, I read my entire corn snake book, and it states that Eggs are very nutrious for your snake, and do wonders for ur snake's scales as well. Also he's highly experienced in the field, and every1 who doesen't agree that Corn Snakes eat eggs obviousily doesen't have as much expereince. The book I'm talking about is called "Corn and Rat snakes, written by Philip Purser"
U might be able to type the tittle of the book with the authors name in a keyword search, and find results.

Number 1, just because they don't metchion Eggs as food for Corn Snakes on that site doesen't mean they dont eat them. Number 2, Also I bought a book at petco, written by someone who has 20+ years of experince [be4 u were born + 6 years] with Reptiles, Amphibians, and Corn Snakes, and he says it's more than healthy 4 your corn snake to eat Quail and Chick eggs, and that it doese wonders for your snake. You might be able to find his book online, it's called "Corn and Rat Snakes, by Philip Purser." Number 3 why do u just tend to belive the sites that dont have Eggs as a possible food choice?

Look Cody I'm going out on limb here but you mix everything up. "Number 2, Also I bought a book at petco, written by someone who has 20+ years of experince [be4 u were born + 6 years]" Huh if you're talking about Dave he is 16 that would be diff. of 4 years not six. As for the rest of us we have seen 20 a couple times. Number 3, I talked about sites that mentioned eggs, quail eggs.
You really need to step back and think about what you are trying to justify and what you are advising.

Also I bought a book at petco, written by someone who has 20+ years of experince [be4 u were born + 6 years] with Reptiles, Amphibians, and Corn Snakes, and he says it's more than healthy 4 your corn snake to eat Quail and Chick eggs, and that it doese wonders for your snake.

1. I think you need to check your maths

2. Learn some respect for those who are older, wiser, and know more about snakes and the World that they live in, than you do.

:shrugs:
Cody, when YOU have fed YOUR corns invertebrates and eggs without any bad effects, let me know.

I have Never feed my snake Invertibrates and never will. Once my snake is large enough I will feed him Quail eggs once a mounth. And in fact, if u read a few of the posts after I posted about invertibrates, I recommened not feeding his Snake insects... :shrugs: so i guess I will never let u know if my snake feeds on Insects and invertibrates without harm...

Found the Philip Purser book. It's list price is half the Kathy Love book, not necessarily a bad sign, but I couldn't find any reviews for it :shrugs:

I suppose you could feed your snake Anole Lizards {as treats}, where I live they are $5.99, somewhat exspensive compared to pinkies, or If you live in the deep south, like I did for eight years, You could catch Anoles. Also, You could feed your snake bird eggs, most who do only feed chickens, but if you find a bird egg, I would wash the shell off with water and Soap, then feed your snake. I have heard that some wild Corn Snakes eat invertibrates [invertibrates are animals without a skeleton, or with a skeleton the outside, Exoskelton] So I suppose you could feed your Corn Snake Grasshopers or crickets, but those hop around to much for your Corn Snake to have enough time to get into position and strike. If you like my post, please rep me!
Here's your post, stating corns eat invertebrates.

[be4 u were born + 6 years]" Huh if you're talking about Dave he is 16 that would be diff. of 4 years not six. As for the rest of us we have seen 20 a couple times.

I fear he's talking about Janine, since she was the one he was quoting. My God... it's worse than we thought. :grin01:

:shrugs:

I have Never feed my snake Invertibrates and never will. Once my snake is large enough I will feed him Quail eggs once a mounth. And in fact, if u read a few of the posts after I posted about invertibrates, I recommened not feeding his Snake insects... :shrugs: so i guess I will never let u know if my snake feeds on Insects and invertibrates without harm...

Sounds like a great source of salmonella to me...

I did find Philip Purser on Amazon and did find a small blurb about "rat snakes, eating birds and eggs." I forgot to check but I think the book is fairly old and there is more current informaiton about corn snakes.
I'm sorry Cody why would you advise anyone what to feed their snake when you haven't done it, you are knowledgable about snakes diets, and then would go back and say no don't do that, it makes no sense.

Before i type this post i'll point out my knowledge on latin names is somewhat limited.. and these things change almost constantly so i may be wrong...

But isn't Pantherophis (As stated on the cover of the book) a rather outdated term for 'Corn snakes' ? (Being that all rat snakes were originally Pantherophis xxx, Then was changed to Elaphe.. and now only Emory, Bairds and the Eastern/Wester fox snakes are referred to under this family name?.

I could be wrong though... maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can clear this up? :shrugs:

Back