CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Euthanization -- A New Method

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
wade
Euthanization -- A New Method

This subject comes up from time to time. I posted a new method in a thread earlier this week. Since this method is not well known I thought maybe further explanation was in order.

There is a great deal of controversy on this subject. I have tried many methods myself. Some more successful than others. I think you need to keep in mind that the main objective is that the mouse should die quickly with as little discomfort as possible. This needs to include the discomfort of stress and fear during the time leading up to death. Many people fail to take that into consideration. I believe that as much as possible the mouse should be completely unaware of its imminent death. It’s for this reason I use a 12-gauge shotgun. I personally feel that 1 ¼ oz of #5 shot is best. This gives you a tight enough pattern to do the job and the individual pellets have enough mass to do substantial damage. For this demonstration I have chosen a Browning Citori Over and Under. The brand and model are not important to the process, use what ever you have at hand.

I think humanity demands that certain courtesies be extended to the mouse. A last meal, a cigarette, and a blindfold would be the minimum. Perhaps a few words with his family and the clergy might be in order. We must never allow ourselves to become hardened to the process. The mouse needs to be kept in mind every step of the way. This particular mouse was very health conscious and declined the cigarette.

This method is quick, efficient, and painless. As you can see, the mouse feels no distress.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
danielle
Oh Wade you kill me, lol

Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
CaptBogart
Well, call me old school, but I think I'll stick with the trebuchet aimed at the garage door method....

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
LBoz
ROFL! That's funny! Unfortunately, I can't see Wade's photos? His snark, however, is always delightful! ;D

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
wade
Fixed the photos.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Phoebeq
OMG ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just died laughing!!!! That blindfolded mouse is hilarious!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Phoebeq
Hey Wade, my hubby is part of a gun forum and would like to post your work over there...would that be a problem for you? He just wants to share your concern for well being of feeder mice

Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
medusacoils
You know what is really funny? Some PETA Nutter is going to visit this site, think your serious and have a kinipshin!!

Nice pics Wade,

Wayne

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
MinLynn
That's freakin' awesome!!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
StormRose
I want to thank you for posting this Wade. As you said the humane treatment of the mouse is of the utmost importance, and from the spray pattern it's clear the little guy didn't feel a thing.

You are truly a worthy humanitarian.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google