CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #31
RobbiesCornField
Listen to Starsevol. She's a VERY wise woman, and will teach you well!

Just don't forget to fear her wrath!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #32
VickyChaiTea
Darksmoke, you'll eventually have to bump your snake up to something that has teeth, which will then pose a serious threat to it if left unattended, or if the mouse/rat is particularly determined.

I think people have made some really great points about feeding live, which you have ignored. I'm disappointed that you've made your decision, and I can only hope that you'll change your mind and keep your snake safe.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #33
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

You know Robbie, that would of sounded much better if you added grasshopper to that.
Just saying....

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #34
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

Aw Robbs, I tried but I am supposed to spread it around more first!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #35
A10Airknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post

its nothing cruel about an animal killing another. its the food chain and how it works , even on television they video tiger grabing deers by the neck and killing them , and somehow many people watch it, must be intristing then right somehow? so is the snake eating its pray.
Observing an animal kill another animal in the wild on a television show is a much different ballgame then watching an animal kill another in captivity.

Observing a television show where this occurs has two positive effects. First, it allows us to understand how those animals survive in the wild, so that we can use this knowledge to better understand our planet and how to protect/reintroduce those animals if those extremes become a sad necessity. Secondly, it sparks public interest, which is necessary for public involvement. In order to protect those animals, individuals have to care. It is easier to care about something you have seen than it is to have just heard about it.

There are no positive effects in captivity, especially in terms of concern for the well-being of the predator. You never see a tiger live-fed a deer in the zoo for this reason (deer in the wild could break a tiger's jaw). Also, most people at the zoo dont want to see one beautiful animal killed by another.

Is it interesting to see a snake eats something in the wild on tv? Yes, for the reasons mentioned above. No one denies that the way a snake kills can be fascinating. Is it necessary, smart, or interesting when you are actually in charge of taking care of a captive animal? No. The risks are too high. Why cause unnecessary pain to the prey animal or predator when you dont have to?

Just my two cents

Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #36
Sweetooth710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
what do you mean you love seeing your snake killing thawed mice , its already dead O_o

and for the one that said that whole list of natural things, i wasnt gonna say that. so a maltese saying "dont bandage yourself before you get hurt" lol

its nothing cruel about an animal killing another. its the food chain and how it works , even on television they video tiger grabing deers by the neck and killing them , and somehow many people watch it, must be intristing then right somehow? so is the snake eating its pray.

overating something wont make you look inteligent, so its useless to force it too much about how dangarous it is to feed live prey , ithink everyone knows that as long as they have googled about corn snakes cause every websites says that live prey is dangarous but overating it and forcing it by says its not intresting how animals hunt and kill there pray,thats not good too.
You are right, in that an animal killing another animal isn't cruel.. IN THE WILD! Dangling a mouse over an enclosure where it has no chance of escaping the snake, while "lol-ing" at the whole ordeal Hardly constitutes as "natural". It's not the food chain. Thats not the way it transpires. In the wild both animals have a fighting chance, whether its the snakes chance at a meal, or the mouses chance of nimbly escaping the snakes wrath. We all know what, and how these animals eat, you're not cool for putting up a video up displaying irresponsibility. Yes, it is fascinating for many of us to watch a snake eat its prey, but I think both animals should be respected. I think feeding live should be something done out of necessity. It's quite simple really...

1. If you care about your pet, you shouldn't want it to get harmed.

2. If you care about living things, you shouldn't want to gloat about a snake killing a rodent trapped in a tank. Its not something a person should laugh about, unless you are a sadist.

Hopefully , you and whoever started the thread can atone for your insolence. My advice, learn from all of the great people on this forum about proper ways to care for your snake..

Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #37
rolandslf
@ DarkSmoke - The big problem here is that Snake Lovers and Snake Keepers per sey are seen as "evil or devil worshipers" by many cultures throughout the world. For us it is just a huge battle to achieve credibiliy as hobbyists, never mind the constant fight to maintain that credibility.

Now, with footage like this shown on the airwaves for all and sundry to see I am sure you can appreciate how much harder our battle becomes.

I am not even going to go into all the other negatives as mentioned by the members. I am hoping that you can also see this post now in a broader light, from a slightly different angle.

Our hobby is indeed complex, but is that not what makes it so great.

Ciao

Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #38
ComoxCorn
I'm still trying to figure out if the OP is Beavis or Butthead. Can someone help me with that one?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #39
rolandslf
Hey, maybe the OP is a Hybrid

Ciao

Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #40
DarkSmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10Airknight View Post
Observing an animal kill another animal in the wild on a television show is a much different ballgame then watching an animal kill another in captivity.

Observing a television show where this occurs has two positive effects. First, it allows us to understand how those animals survive in the wild, so that we can use this knowledge to better understand our planet and how to protect/reintroduce those animals if those extremes become a sad necessity. Secondly, it sparks public interest, which is necessary for public involvement. In order to protect those animals, individuals have to care. It is easier to care about something you have seen than it is to have just heard about it.

There are no positive effects in captivity, especially in terms of concern for the well-being of the predator. You never see a tiger live-fed a deer in the zoo for this reason (deer in the wild could break a tiger's jaw). Also, most people at the zoo dont want to see one beautiful animal killed by another.

Is it interesting to see a snake eats something in the wild on tv? Yes, for the reasons mentioned above. No one denies that the way a snake kills can be fascinating. Is it necessary, smart, or interesting when you are actually in charge of taking care of a captive animal? No. The risks are too high. Why cause unnecessary pain to the prey animal or predator when you dont have to?

Just my two cents
yes dude the problem is the people DID deny thats its something intresting and fascinating, and thats where i jumped in, that was my only point to prove them that it is FASCINATING, they are 100% right on every other thing they said as i alread said, that its dangarous, thats not funny , and etc etc.

but saying thats not intresting and entertaining, thats a lie as you said yourself that it is fascinating and intresting. so you got my point than.
i never said it was safe , neither that Loling around a snake eating mouse was something normal, i dont see anything funny about it. but saying its not intresting they did exegarate then.

but seems like people here jumped on me too , they need to relax.
my only intention and point was to say that they where wrong saying that was something that doesnt make sence when a snake hunts down.
but from that they jumped to another million things i didnt even say ,
and even tried to teach me that its dangarous, when i have just told them that they where right about. so they knew i knew and yet they said it again to me. they ran off topic about me.

but anyway , im happy that finaly there are some saying that it is fascinating and intresting, i tought everyone on this forum was thinkg the contrary O_o
i hope everyone got my point now, my job is done , peaze xD

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, mouse