• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

It's so sad guys

little twiglet

just found out today that my little baby corn is blind in one eye!?!
apparently it shouldn't cause any problems but i feel sorry for him but on the better side of life i'm getting another corn snake soon a really pretty lav!!!

Watch this space for photos :)

BAD DREAM

had a really bad dream last night i dreamt that i took twig to the vet and he said that there was no helping him and took out this massive hammer and....................SPLAT!!! i was so upset that i got up and held him for about an hour :D

I feel bad about getting another snake because i'll feel like im replacing twig because of his deformaty but this Lav is a total Bargin only £15 from a friend who breeds.

That is a very nice deal!!

Well....in a way being blind or not is not much of a problem.

They can't really see that well anyway so not having an egg isn't going to be much of a problem. But then I don't know if this is going to be genetic so if I were you....I wouldn't breed it.
I am assuming that it was blind on it's first day out of the egg....not because it had an accident that caused the blindness....

But I know that it's a pain to know that your loved one is partically blind....
I have seen a corn snake that didn't have it's eyes developed at all....it was perfectly healthy except it didn't have eyes devloped....so if you come to think about it, yours is already a very lucky snake.
To have you love him and it can see part of the world with one eye.....

sorry to hear about your bad dream . . . your corn will probably be fine and lead a normal life with the one eye to see frm . . . :)

A lavendar at £15 !!! thats really great . . . .if your friend has any more he needs to get rid of i need a little girl so if he has let me know!! thanks

KRIS

I think one of my adult snakes is now completely blind after a brush with death earlier this year (both corneas are cloudy in the centre and haven't cleared despite two good sheds). It's taken her a couple of months, but she's now moving freely around her viv and she can find her water and food with no problems. The only thing I have to be careful of is rearranging the things in her viv - that really seems to confuse her for a couple of days. I always put the water in the same place, just in case. I think your little chap will be fine with one good eye.

Good luck and keep us posted
Kel

Urgh - it was horrible. My 15 year old, Jericho, had laid that day but seemed OK apart from being very tired and dehydrated. I came home at midnight and about half an hour later she started having fits. I called the vet, who thankfully is very good with snakes & agreed to meet me at his surgery. By the time we reached him at 1am, she was completely limp, mouth gaping open and barely breathing.

The vet took her up to the theatre and worked on her for half an hour. Her heart had stopped by the time he got up the stairs with her. The vet said it was desperate measures at that point, so he injected adrenaline direct into her heart, which restarted it. He then intubated her and fed oxygen direct into her lungs until she started breathing regularly. He said he only tried these as last resorts, but he got her stabilised and I took her home around 2am, still totally limp. Neither of us expected her to last the night, but come the next morning, she'd moved slightly in her viv.

Jeri's been gradually getting better over the last couple of months. Naturally, she won't touch anything with vitamins/supplements on or in it ! However, I now have her eating 2 large mice a week and she's started putting on weight again. Just in the last week, she's started moving around her viv like she used to and taking an interest in things.

As I said, both corneas are cloudy & when she's looking around, she's developed a kind of swaying head movement. That's what gives me the idea that she's blind (or at least impaired). The vet said to look out for signs of brain damage (due to lack of oxygen) and also respiratory/lung damage which may have been caused by the pressurised oxygen when intubated. If she's escaped with just sight problems, I consider us to be very lucky.

The vet's conclusion that this was some sort of crisis brought on by egglaying, as he could find no signs of infection, injury or other illness. I have to take her back to him in November (his estimate of when she'll be physically recovered) to think about "contraceptive" injections to stop her ovulating next year. The vet has used these injections successfully with larger boids before, but not with a smaller snake the size of a Corn. But I'm very keen not to have a repeat of this year's drama.

You can't imagine how thankful I am to have a vet less than five miles away, who knows how to resuscitate a dead snake and will willingly do so in the small hours !

Sorry to hear about your sick snake Kel, but lucky you that the vet was so helpful.

Also, you mentioned that your snake won't eat food that has been dipped in vitamins right? Well you could mix the vitamin powder with a tiny bit of water and inject it into a f/t mouse. That way the snake gets it's vitamins and it never knows the difference!

I've tried the injecting trick Katie - she STILL seems to know they're spiked and turns her nose up at all "augmented" offerings ! I don't want to stress her with tubing or force feeding, so I'm very grateful that she's started putting weight on properly.

Thanks
Kel

Well that's one smart snake then. It's even got us humans outsmarted! Lol. Well, that's the only trick I know of.... sorry.

Back