CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

corn snake not moving lower 2/3 of it's body

Old 11-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
alyse2727
Unhappy corn snake not moving lower 2/3 of it's body

My 2 year old corn snake isn't moving the lower two-thirds of it's body. I noticed first that it wasn't righting itself when I took it out to feed and I noticed it's movement seemed off. But I don't handle it much so I didn't notice right away what was wrong. I couldn't get him to eat (mice/thawed not live) a few weeks ago, kept trying and eventually he ate his mouse. Next feeding time comes around and he won't eat again, kept trying and nothing, its been a little over a week and he still won't eat. He is also "open mouth breathing" according to the vet. Every few minutes he basically opens his mouth. I took him to the vet and they did x-rays and they didn't find any issues with the spine/bones. They wanted to give him an anti-inflammatory but the meds are on back order everywhere so then the vet down played the need for it. She put the snake on antibiotics and I am going back tomorrow for blood work. Basically the vet has no idea what could be wrong and is just trying stuff, I guess. It breaks my heart to watch my poor little snake trying to drag its limp body around and not eating.
Does anybody have any similar experience or ideas? I really don't know very much about snakes and he is my fiirst and only snake. I feel pretty desperate and sad but I also hate just blinding throwing money into random "treatments". Please help if you've got anything!!! (I don't actually know the snake's sex).

Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
DeuceRon
Sounds like it's paralyzed, but the vet said there are no signs of any spine damage. I would give the meds a shot when you can get them, and see if they help. Otherwise, keep searching the net for guidance or answers. Hopefully, it's just some sort of random inflammation that will be handled with the meds.
Good luck, and please let us know what happens. I hope the little one is okay. Hand in there.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
pitzMike
Perhaps you can ask another Vet's opinion about it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google