CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Eeg bound

Old 01-22-2003, 02:37 AM   #1
bulletmk116v
Red face Eeg bound

Hi all

I just wanna know if anyone can shed some light on eeg bound my albino stripped died the other day due to eeg bound why do the eegs get stuck in the snakes body and am i doing something wrong ?

Thanx alot for ur help

Old 01-22-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
bmm
hmm

So many possible reasons.....

What size was your snake? Sometimes snakes to small can become egg bound and die.

Did she lay any eggs then stop then die? Or you thought she was gravid/sure she was gravid and then she died close to her lay date?

BMM

Old 01-22-2003, 06:33 AM   #3
bulletmk116v
Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by bmm
So many possible reasons.....

What size was your snake? Sometimes snakes to small can become egg bound and die.

Did she lay any eggs then stop then die? Or you thought she was gravid/sure she was gravid and then she died close to her lay date?

BMM
She was 2 years old very nice size and she was definetly gravid cause i cut the eggs out of her and she dident lay any eggs died with them all in her

Old 01-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
bmm
hmm

Well I can't really say what the cause is. It could be anything or nothing and just one of those thing.

For next time keep these points in mind (in fact CowboyWay posted about this as well)

Females should be above 36 inches generally.
Exercise is needed.

And try to pick up "The Cornsnake Manual by Kathy Love" unless you already have it

bmm

Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
Matt L
bullet,
My first experience with an egg bound female was last season. The snake (an amel motley) was 34" healthy and 3 years old. This was her first clutch. I really expected no problems. Unfortunatley, she did not lay on time. I waited longer than I thought I should, and finally 1 egg passed, then nothing. After 2 more days I convinced myself the choices were limited,and letting her die was not one of them. I chose to aspirate the egg nearest the cloaca. The proceure for me was done alone and self taught. I would recomend help with this when ever available--at one point in the procedure--she flailed her head and almost impaled herself on the open needle. An extra set of hands is the bare minimum when it comes to help. Anyway I managed to save 6 out of 18 eggs and the female. If she has as much trouble this season I will retire her. With conditions as good as could be expected, I was surprised by the dystochia. I have had smaller younger animals produce similar clutches with no problem.
Best of Luck!

Matt L.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google