CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

EPISTASIS in Cornsnakes?

Old 01-02-2020, 03:18 AM   #1
pitzMike
EPISTASIS in Cornsnakes?

Epistasis is a phenomenon that consists of the effect of one gene being dependent on the presence of one or more “modifier genes” (genetic background).

I was watching Youtube videos about Genetics the other day and stumbled upon this phenomenon. Generally, a third phenotype is generated when two separate genes are paired.

Is there such thing in cornsnakes? I was thinking of the PurpleX wherein the Lavender color is much different when paired to some genes (personally, i dont know PurpleX, i just read some posts here).

Old 01-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Shiari
pied-sided does not express without diffused and so might be considered, though the inheritance mode is still not 100% understood and expression does still seem to be tied to very high expression of the diffused gene.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Dragonling
I have suspected for a while that there is a recessive mutation responsible for the missing frontal scale frequently seen in Amel corns that exhibits this phenomenon.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzMike View Post
Epistasis is a phenomenon that consists of the effect of one gene being dependent on the presence of one or more “modifier genes” (genetic background).

I was watching Youtube videos about Genetics the other day and stumbled upon this phenomenon. Generally, a third phenotype is generated when two separate genes are paired.

Is there such thing in cornsnakes? I was thinking of the PurpleX wherein the Lavender color is much different when paired to some genes (personally, i dont know PurpleX, i just read some posts here).
I'm very late posting in this thread. However, here I am, and this thread needs an answer.

First epistasis occurs when a mutant gene at one location in the chromosomes masks the effect of a mutant gene at another location in the chromosomes. This is different from dominance, in which one gene masks the effect of a different gene in the same location in the chromosomes. Epistasis is pretty common.

Example: in mice, the albino mutant gene masks the effect of the nonagouti mutant gene. A mouse that has a pair of nonagouti genes is black. An albino mouse is white with pink eyes. An albino mouse may also have a pair of nonagouti genes, but the mouse is still albino.

IMO, an amelanistic corn snake that also has a pair of hypo mutant genes would be difficult or impossible to tell the difference from a corn snake that only has a pair of amelanistic genes. This would be a case of epistasis.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Dragonling
I dunno, those examples are somewhat coincidental rather than being dependant on each other. Albino renders an agouti mouse white as well, along with brindle, splash, tan, etc.

In my example, the missing frontal scale only seems to occur when a corn snake is Amelanistic. Without Amel, the missing scale is not exhibited. Just because the Scaleless mutation would also negate that scale doesn't mean it's also an example of epistasis.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google