CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie here!

Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Brilovesnakes
Newbie here!

Hi! My name is Brianna, and I just got a corn snake for my birthday, after begging and researching for two years. Before I start, be warned! This is a long post!

I just got a cornsnake from petsmart. I know people say that petsmart is a bad place to get any animal from, but petsmart partners with the humane society for the kittens and puppies, and everytime I go there, all the animals and reptiles look really healthy. The reptiles always have at least one hide, and the snakes are always in separate enclosures. The snake we got was also extremely healthy when we got it. Back to the snake. We dont know what gender it is yet, as it is too young to know yet. If it turns out to be a girl, we will name it Rose, and if it's a boy, we will name it lava. Right now I'm assuming the snake is a boy. The reason for this is the snakes coloring. He is actually pretty red! He was extremely chill when we got him, no nipping or anything when I tried to put him in his cage. He lives in the basement, but dont worry! The basement is pretty much the same temp as the house, and we got it a heat lamp, plus when I checked the temp it was around 82 degrees. Today was his first feeding since we got him, and he struck at the pinkie in I'm pretty sure less than 30 seconds. I guess he is a good eater ! I will soon update on the gender, but it may take a bit. Please feel free to share your stories here! I absolutely love listening to people's story's about owning snakes!

Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Brilovesnakes
Pics of the corn snake

Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
SnakeCreations
Congrats, neighbor!

-Tonya

Old 11-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Averysmom
Welcome! Sounds like your snake is going to have a great home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Zincubus
Welcome to the addiction

Old 11-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Welcome to Cornsnakes and to the forum! (From another fellow Washingtonian I'm on the east side of the state.)

Not all chain pet stores are bad. The Petco near where I used to live on the west side was good.

Be sure to post pics of your new snake!

Old 11-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
carol
Welcome! Make sure you have a water bowl big enough for him/her to soak in. Heat lamps can dry them out unless it is humid where you live.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
Brilovesnakes
Thank you all so much for your replies! Might as well warn you now, I may make spelling mistakes, as I am typing this on my phone, and I'm bad at typing on it.

Yes Carol, I do have a water bowl, thanks for bringing it up . I am trying to post pictures, but I am having a hard time, as shown in the blank reply titled pics of the corn. It is really hard because I cant copy the url, so I have to manually write the url of each picture I post. Anyone have have any tips, please?

Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #9
Brilovesnakes
Also, I'm pretty sure my snake just started its first shed since we got it. Is it normal for it to be at the head only? Will a water bowl be enough or should I get a humidity box?

Old 11-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilovesnakes View Post
Also, I'm pretty sure my snake just started its first shed since we got it. Is it normal for it to be at the head only? Will a water bowl be enough or should I get a humidity box?

If you’re sure it’s in shed you can spray the viv daily then as soon as the eyes clear and colour returns you start spraying two or three times each day ... the snake will shed perfectly a few days after that ..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google