CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Popping... yellow fluid

Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Teddy Roosevelt
Popping... yellow fluid

At the request of a member here, I tried popping my male to confirm sex. First a whitish liquid came out that smelled a little like oleanders, and then some chunky yellow stuff SPEWED out. Was this uric acid, or semen? Can hatchlings even HAVE semen? I know it's sort of a gross question, but I need to know if I should keep trying (maybe after a warm bath for him first) or if he's pretty much just confirmed himself as male.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
LBoz
Pepper....why did you pop your snake? Are you planning on breeding? How did you go about it? I pray that you viewed Kathy's instructions prior???

Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Teddy Roosevelt
To find out whether he was really male; Possibly, in the future; I held his head still and then applied pressure from the end of his tail towards the vent; yes.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
airenlow
It's just not something that you should teach yourself. You can seriously injure the reproductive organs if it is done incorrectly.

What you encountered was probably musk and then urates...

Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Teddy Roosevelt
Can someone give me a VAGUE answer at least? I want to know if I just broke my snake.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
It's just not something that you should teach yourself. You can seriously injure the reproductive organs if it is done incorrectly.

What you encountered was probably musk and then urates...
Alright, thanks. I don't really have any other options. There aren't any reptile vets nearby and I figured, if http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGEsHB_w3E and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEsV...eature=related could do it, it can't be too difficult.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
LBoz
You said this was at the request of a member?

It might seem like I'm picking on you, and I'm truly not...what I am trying to suggest is that while you are a "voracious" reader, it's one thing to simply regurgitate what you read and post that willy nilly all over the board, but it's quite another thing to deny practical (i.e. "hands on" experience) as better than textbook. I'm an RN. I've read multitudes of articles regarding brain surgery, I've assisted in the surgical procedures, but regardless of the textbook information I can spout, I'm in no way experienced in performing brain surgery. Does this make sense? you've been a keeper for less than two weeks. I understand your overzealous excitement, but at the same time, you might want to have just a tad more of that "hands on" experience before attempting such procedures. Trust me, I say this with the utmost humility. I've been keeping for less than two years. I'll learn in my entire hobbyist lifetime what some of these folks will forget by lunchtime.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Roy Munson
Popping is easy after you figure it out (for colubrids, anyway). It takes a while to figure out. I don't know how to explain it, but something clicks, and you know you reliably have the technique mastered. Your snake unloaded musk (probably) and urates (definitely) on you. Don't make the attempt again until you understand the technique completely (via personal demo, preferably-- or lots of vids). You can seriously injure a snake if you don't know how much pressure to apply, and where to apply it..:

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Teddy Roosevelt
I was hesitant to do it in the first place, so you don't have to tell me not to do it again twice. Maybe when I go back to the breeder to get more meeses (and possibly another corn?) I'll take him and have her do it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Popping is easy after you figure it out (for colubrids, anyway). It takes a while to figure out. I don't know how to explain it, but something clicks, and you know you reliably have the technique mastered. Your snake unloaded musk (probably) and urates (definitely) on you. Don't make the attempt again until you understand the technique completely (via personal demo, preferably-- or lots of vids). You can seriously injure a snake if you don't know how much pressure to apply, and where to apply it..:
And yet, even some of those experienced breeders will charge you enormous fees to sex your snake. Beware of them.

xo

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google