CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Our young corn snake has stopped eating and is losing a lot of weight

Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #41
Ravenessa
I am so sorry <3 I feared this was the post when I got the email alert....
You did everything you could..

Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #42
crzymom2grl2by
I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago with the baby I bought in Nov. from Petsmart. I realized after a couple of weeks that she was sick when I got her. I did the meds as well, but she never got better and was just dead one day. It's sad, but a good lesson about big box pet stores. However when I had to buy food for my other one a while back I held a beautiful corn at Petco, so hard not to buy it, but I know better, I'd be sick if another one died that I bought.
Sorry for your loss and hope your daughter takes it alright. :'(

Old 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #43
D'n'D
Oh, no! What a tragedy.This is heartbreaking.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #44
HVani
So sorry for your loss It sounds like you did everything you could.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #45
D'n'D
Looking back at your post, and being a vet myself (although not practicing and not trained in reptiles) - I am thinking as a postmortem - the soft lump she had may had been an abscess - maybe she ingested some substrate and that migrated through her body, eventually creating a foreign object response from her body. unfortunately the abscess grew bigger and it burst. There isn't much you could have done.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #46
Praetorian27
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'n'D View Post
Looking back at your post, and being a vet myself (although not practicing and not trained in reptiles) - I am thinking as a postmortem - the soft lump she had may had been an abscess - maybe she ingested some substrate and that migrated through her body, eventually creating a foreign object response from her body. unfortunately the abscess grew bigger and it burst. There isn't much you could have done.
We always fed her in a separate feeding box so she definitely didn't swallow any substrate when feeding. She was our first snake so I didn't realize until now, but looking at other people's 1 1/2 year old corn snakes, our snake was tiny. She was maybe 24" long and very thin. Other snakes I see online look like full grown animals. Even though she ate fine, she just never thrived and grew. Thanks again for your help guys.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
Shiari
I had a snake that abscessed and had to be euthanised because it had a stomach stricture that tore when I tube fed it a single cc of egg yolk. The egg yolk ended up in the body cavity due the tear and made an abscess. It's name was 'Too Stupid To Live' because I'd been fore feeding mouse tails to it for months.

I also suggest a post mortem. It might give you a bit of closure.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #48
D'n'D
Again, the vet in me keeps rummaging over this.

Maybe she aspirated something ... I don't Know. But when you say the lump was soft, that means either a cyst or and abscess. Yes, a postmortem will bring closure, and indeed, when you say that she didn't thrive, you may be right. My 6-month old puts on 1-2 g on every feeding and is now 39g. There could also have been an anatomical anomaly, that in time became more accentuated and lead to her not thriving and eventually her death.
I remember as a kid, my first puppy died at 6months - she failed to thrive - she was not meant to live. But the next ... she lived to 19 years. So do a post mortem to find out if it was infectious or not and then get another one - season just started and on this forum I saw some nice clutches in the making ...

Hugs,
Dana

Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #49
Praetorian27
My daughter definitely wasn't down with a post mortem. She buried her in our front yard with 5 pinkies and her favorite wood log hide. She's doing better today...last night was rough. We are still waiting for the crypto test results. If it was crypto, we should throw away everything in the tank, sterilize the tank and start from scratch right?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #50
smigon
So sorry to hear of the loss. Some just weren't meant to make it.

Yes, toss everything in the viv that can't be sterilized and if you do get another reptile you can boil rocks and solid pieces of decoration with a splash of bleach added to the water, but if you can, start over fresh.

The viv should be scrubbed and scrubbed again with bleach water, then rinsed and let dry in the sun. This SHOULD kill everything bad left in the tank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google