CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My way of Breeding (suggestions?)

Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Cornsnakeluver89
My way of Breeding (suggestions?)

I just wanted to share how I breed my corns. If I get anything wrong then please tell me. It would be very helpful!I am not perfect and I love constructive criticism! First of all,I DO NOT BRUMATE MY CORNS. The main reason I don't brumate them is because I don't have a place to and I have done fine without it. I usually feed my corns a bit more than usual just to make sure they are good and ready to go. In the new year I wait till my female sheds for the first time and that is usually in February or late January and maybe even early March. I breed them every few days until I see them lock up. For me, I want to see them lock up at least 4-5 times until I feel sure about them. After this I wait and I feed my female all that she wants and I listen to her only. I also feed my male so he can be back to normal. He uses a lot of energy while breeding because he is a very aggressive breeder. About ten days before she lays her eggs she will have a pre-lay shed. This is when you should take note and think about when you will make your egg box. Then after about 30-45 days the female lays her eggs. Make sure you provide a lay box and take out her water dish! Use a lay box so she feels secure and not as stressed out. And take out the water dish so that she won't have the chance to lay her eggs in the water and kill them!!! I am still debating whether I should use an incubator such as a hovabator/reptibator, make my own incubator,or just use a plastic bin with hatch rite in it at room temperatures.(If anyone knows this then will you please tell me, Is 71.6 degrees too cold for the eggs to hatch? That is the temp on top of my refrigerator). I would much appreciate your thoughts on all that!!! If you are incubating your eggs at the recommended temp then your eggs could hatch in about 58-62 days. The lower the temps,the longer it takes for the eggs to hatch. And please make sure that you have homes for all of the babies!!! You could have up to 30 little ones on your hands! Thats it! If you do something a different way then please tell me. I am open to new things and I would love to know your thoughts! Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
backafter30
I am slightly confused, as you say your methods are working for you. Isn't that all that counts? If it works, don't fix it. I can't see anyone telling you you're wrong. I do brumate, because it saves me a lot of mice, and in spring it's like meeting friends you haven't seen in awhile. I incubate at around 82F, because that's what I read in a book, and it seems to work for me, so I'm gonna stick with it. Oh, I also do not remove water entirely, but replace the bowl with a much smaller one that won't invite nesting. That way water is always available if the eggs take their time coming. Good luck to you!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
nancyg
I had a surprise clutch, and improvised an incubator using an aquarium heater placed in a large plastic jar of water, and then placed in a standard cooler (camping type that you put ice in) I set the gladware container of eggs and moss next to the plastic jar inside and just checked every few days. The water keeps the humidity up and provides a large 'radiating' area for the warmth. It seemed to work just fine.

Like Backafter30 said, If what you are doing works for you, - then it works for you.

If it were me, I would be a little concerned about that temperature on top of the fridge, it sounds a little chilly , but if the eggs hatch, then it works. I would prefer to use some sort of incubator, because if the temperature in your house should drop for some reason (someone cranks the AC, etc) you might lose the eggs if they are sitting out.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
ronaldosusanto97
Is it possible for you to show me some pics of the incubator u made and her lay box?? Thank you...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
nancyg
I Don't think I took any pictures of the incubator with the eggs in it... If I have time, I can stage it and take a pic.. but honestly, it's really simple...

The 'plastic jar' I mentioned was a large animal crackers container... like this http://www.amazon.com/Stauffers-Orig.../dp/B001NC8HS6

I filled it with water, and I set it inside the cooler, http://www.camping-tips.com/images/page/cooler.gif and set it toward one side.

I put a submersible aquarium heater (not sure the other kind is even made anymore)http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_131295_1.jpg in the water,

Along with a floating thermometer http://www.petguys.com/-030172371010...FRYcaQod2LUAkA

The smallest heater you can get will work just fine - you are heating less than 2 gallons of water in the jar

You can also substitute some other container to hold the water, but it should be tall to lessen the chance of a hatchling somehow getting into it (mine never left the gladware tote. A gallon sized pickle jar would probably work, though it is a little smaller. I just happened to have the empty cookie tote.

Set the heater to the temp you want, let it get the water up to temperature - and confirm the temperature with the aquarium thermometer.. It's a good idea to set a second thermometer on the far side of the cooler, to see what the temperatures are where the eggs are. And adjust the heater as needed so the second thermometer shows the temp you want the eggs at.

I just gently closed the lid of the cooler on the cord for the heater, but if you are really worried, you could cut a notch in the lid or rim for the cord to sit in.

Nancy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google