CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Regurgitation vs. vomit vs. feces

Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
copper453
Exclamation Regurgitation vs. vomit vs. feces

Hi everyone,

If possible, I would request some advice. I just got a 4-5 month old cornsnake. This is my third time feeding her.

I just fed her a couple days ago (Thursday) it is now Sunday. I am not sure if what is in the tank now is poop or vomit or regurgitation.

There's something in the tank that looks like regular poop, brown/blackish stuff with white stuff around it and yellow marks on the paper towel(probably pee), and this is by the hot side of the tank.

Then, more towards the cool side of the tank, there is this gray longish (cylindrical) slimy looking thing, that I have no clue what it is. There is no whitish stuff around it and it does Not look like the other normal poop.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? I am worried about my snake and if I should keep feeding her, or do the 10 days off for a regurgitation(if that seems likely).

Also, on another note, she did start to go into shed today as well....Also, I did check the temperature with a infrared thermometer, and the temperatures in the tank are good.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:19 AM   #2
Shiari
The long slimy thing is probably a regurge (any chance of a photo?).

I would start regurge protocol in an excess of caution.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
copper453
No, I didn't get a pic, but I am starting regurge protocol just in case.
Thanks for the input.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Twolunger
Regurges aren't hard to identify. While the feet and/or legs may have disappeared in partial digestion, the head and body are usually visible. You can either poke around with a toothpick to identify it, or put it a disposable cup full of water to identify the head. From your description, it does sound like a regurge and you were correct starting the procedure.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
tag77
What is regurge protacal? We were feeding our 10 month old male fuzzys(2 to 3 per feeding). We felt it was time to start feeding him small mice, he ate it fine but later we found what looked like a crushed up mouse in his tank. we have since went back to the fuzzies with no issues. Is this normal when changing food? Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Em

Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Twolunger
It doesn't sound like the regurge is a health concern, but merely reacting to the size/girth change. You may want to read the Munson plan regarding feeding by snake weight. If you are feeding 2 or 3 fuzzies already it would probably be time to step up in size. However, I would not have jumped from fuzzies to small mice. Typically I step up to hoppers right after fuzzies. After a regurge I hold off feeding for a week to 10 days, then feed a small prey item dusted with probiotics. Since your snake is back eating fuzzies again with no apparent problem there doesn't seem to be need for concern. You can do a search for the Munson plan, or scroll down to the member's forum blogs to Nanci's Snickersnakes and read the sticky on corn snake care.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, poop, regurgitation