CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

A question for the serious breeders...

Old 05-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
JaketheTick
Question A question for the serious breeders...

I guess this question is really aimed at those of you who seriously breed, not just a clutch or two a year, but you know, like dozens. I have several corn snakes. I love them. I really want to do more breeding. Id really like between five and ten breeding pairs eventually. BUT, I dont want this to be a career. Ive got a career already. This is just hobby(one of many.) Is it feasible to be a serious breeder without making a career out of it, or even a part time career? I guess the best way to say it is how many hours would you say you spend a week caring for your snakes? THanks. Appreciate it.

Old 05-19-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
Clint Boyer
My opinion..........

I'm dealing with about 80 snakes and 20 some clutches. The reason I breed is to see whats around the next corner, it's an evolving project. I've always got snakes that need to be kept in order to improve. So, what I'm getting at is that it depends on your motives. I would say that if you want to have more then just a couple clutches a year then the snakes should be your #1 hobby with all others fitting in around the animals. There is just too much that needs daily attention when you get a larger # of animals. I can't break it down to a specific # of hours but 3 pairs was easy to manage and still not feel like my life revolved around the snakes. I have a career also but the snakes actually account for around half of my vacation time being taken when they need me.

Old 05-19-2002, 08:37 PM   #3
JaketheTick
CLINT

Thanks, Ive noticed that you seem to be a pretty serious breeder, i Really appreciate your reply, and it does help alot. THanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google