CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Using velcro wrapped around the viv

Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
smigon
Using velcro wrapped around the viv

Hi! I have been searching but can't find the thread where we talked about Velcro wrapped around the viv to hold it closed but can't find it.

The responses I got were that I only needed one side (the soft loops or the hard hooks) and was told I don't need both, it sticks to itself which is what I was questioning. I got 50 yards of the loops today, but like I suspected, it has nothing to grasp to hold it together.

Could someone clarify how I am supposed to make them stick together or direct me to my original question?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
cornsnakeforsale_com
probably in here somewhere... https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
smigon
That's the one! Thanks, Damon!

But I was right about the Velcro, I bought the 50 yds of softer loop roll that sews on but once you wrap it around the viv what does it connect to? I have one long piece that is wrapped but without the "hook" part it is useless.

insomniac101 (Kathy) said "You just put the two ends together, wrap it around the tank, pull tight and press the pieces together." but I am noticing the two ends don't look the same in that picture.

Please, treat me like a Kindergartener and walk me through this slowly!

I have one very long piece of the soft (loop) Velcro. I wrap it around the tank near one end and now I have two soft loop pieces meeting at the top of the viv that do not stick together, you have to have a hook for the loop to work and vice-versa. Now what?

Thanks so much for your help, together we will figure this out!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Shirl
Do your lids slide out? I use the velcro on my slide out lids as an extra precaution. I use the sticky on kind on the lid and the side and then I use a piece of the sew on kind to hold it closed....did that make sense? I can get a pic if needed

Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
Do your lids slide out? I use the velcro on my slide out lids as an extra precaution. I use the sticky on kind on the lid and the side and then I use a piece of the sew on kind to hold it closed....did that make sense? I can get a pic if needed
I only have one that slides out, all others are the heavier grate metal since my cats will get on top of them. And I do exactly what you do! My problem is that the sticky doesn't hold very long on the glass and tonight (not the first time) the sticky came up and I had an escapee. Fortunately for her my diligent hunter cat was trying to get to her (she got behind an old roll top desk and was sort of stuck) and I heard her tail rattling, I looked at my husband and said "I know that rattle!". We had no idea until then that she had escaped.

SO, needless to say, I am going to wait for the responses to come in on what was being described to me.

I think if I wrap the tanks in 2-3 spots (middle as well for the 55 gallons) with the soft 50 yards I just got I will connect them with a fairly long piece of hook tape. I am just so baffled by how people got theirs to stick to each other!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Dahliasmom2012
The velcro I got has the soft on one side and the hook on the back side so it grabs to itself. It was 5 bucks and change for 5 yards on amazon

Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post

insomniac101 (Kathy) said "You just put the two ends together, wrap it around the tank, pull tight and press the pieces together." but I am noticing the two ends don't look the same in that picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahliasmom2012 View Post
The velcro I got has the soft on one side and the hook on the back side so it grabs to itself. It was 5 bucks and change for 5 yards on amazon
Sorry about that, Michelle! I think Dahliasmom explained it better. Did you get it to work for you?

Kathy

Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #8
smigon
Oooh! That makes total sense, I never saw that on Amazon or eBay, I always thought it came in two pieces, on loop and one hook, I never saw the kind that are back to back. AND I knew you are too smart to not be describing something correctly so that's why I questioned it so much.

I will do as much as I can with the 50 yards of one sided loop I ordered by wrapping the tanks with the loop and using a smallish piece of hook (I have lots of that too!) to connect them, and if I need more I will order the double sided kind. I have 13 vivs currently inhabited and have on STRICT orders that NO MORE will be needed, but I think he forgot about the other empty 20L and 55 gallons in one of the spare bedrooms! And that Repticon is this weekend!

Thanks to you both, that was driving me crazy!

Thanks for your patience, and keeping me sane.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google