CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

What do you feed corn snakes?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
coralife205
What do you feed corn snakes?

I have been feeding my snake frozen mice. however, Im wondering if feeding Live is more healthy for the snake or not... I know the risk of feeding live, but im just wondering if it is healthier...

also, can you feed them other things besides mice? I know other snakes eat worms, feeder-fish, crickets, etc....would my corn snake eat any of those?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Bartholomew
Your corn snake might eat it. But its just a waste of time and money because they arent getting the nutrients they need. Almost everyone here feeds f/t (frozen/thawed) mice and they have big, strong, healthy corn snakes. I dont know how live will benefit them more. I just know about the consequences that come when feeding live mice to a corn snake.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
cornsnakeforsale_com
Adults pretty much eat mice or other rodents. Babies might add some lizards to their diet.

Frozen is good because it's usually more convenient, the food is healthier and there's no danger of attack from the animal.

Live is good because it's more natural and the snake gets its exercise which can help avoid some health problems.

If the feeder animal is small enough there's no worry about attack.

Some breeders feed frozen most of the time and throw in live once in a while. It's all your choice.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Kels88
The fresher something is, the more vitamins it has. vitamins dissappate because of contact with air, heat, and other reasons. That is why it is so much better to eat fruits right off the vine instead of out of a can.
But freezing holds in a lot more vitamins than cooking or canning (in the case of people food)...
So technically a fresh-killed mouse has more nutrients than f/t, but I still feed f/t because of cost, no chance of injury or parasites, and I don't want my snake to get "spoiled" and not go back to f/t after eating live.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
bitsy
My 22 year old has eaten nothing but f/t mice all his life. I recommend it!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
wstphal
I have looked at many live feeding threads. I won't do it unless it's that or death by starvation. If you think your corn needs more exercise, make him chase the zombie mouse around! If he has a good feeding response he will go up & back the feeding bin a bunch of times as long as you keep the zombie mouse out of reach but within sensing range. Then when you do let him have it he will probably constrict the guts out & get more exercise.

Or you can take him out for regular exercise outdoors, on the couch, on the stairs, in the bathtub, etc to replace the exercise from killing live food.

If you think he needs variety in his diet, you can offer other f/t rodents of the same size (like rat pinks/fuzzys/hoppers) or quail chicks. The risk of this is that he might like those items so much better he refuses mice after that & insists on rat or quail instead.

You can dust the f/t with Nutribac or herp vitamins occasionally to make up for anything lost to freezing. I don't know if that's really necessary, but Nutribac is safe and can't hurt, and vitamins ought to be OK as long as you don't overdo them -- check in Kathy Love's book, I know it says what the deal is with herp vitamins & corn snakes.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
medusacoils
A corn can get all the nutrition it needs from a diet of mice only. Stick to Frozen Thawed. The risk of feeding live is too high. Plus you can keep frozen feeders in bulk safely in the freezer. That cuts down on costs and time. The feeders may lose a little nutrition by being frozen, but not enough to affect the health of the snake. Freezing also reduces the risk of infecting the snake with parasites. Freezing may not kill all of them, but will kill most if the rodent is infected.

Stay away from feeding worms, crickets or feeder fish. These are not part of their normal diet. Probably wouldn't eat it anyway.

If you do decide to supplement their diet with some reptile vitamins, do it sparingly. Maybe once every couple of months. This is a case of "less is more".

Wayne

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
juliekyle
where to buy pinkies in bulk?
feed two pinkies and feed a week later for 18 in ch corn?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
wstphal
@juliekyle
The best way to get bulk frozen pinks is either at a reptile show or over the Internet. If you go that route, join up with another snake owner to split the shipping costs. Try http://www.gourmetrodent.com/
http://www.rodentpro.com/?gclid=CIDG...FV195QodlxaWLA
http://themousefactory.com/
https://micedirect.com/
Among others. I've bought from RodentPro & MiceDirect & been happy with both.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google