CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Please help!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
2Cavies&aSnake
Question Please help!

(Please read my introduction post in the new members forum for important details) I recently took on my brother's cornsnake and we have had her for about 8 years and she has had a great temperament she would even weave through my little sister's glasses when she was smaller. Until a few months ago when she tried to bite my dad when he tried to take her out to feed her (my parents have always fed her in a separate container from her tank- is that normal?) next feeding time she actually did bite him. She has become so aggressive that we have purchased a snake hook to handle her. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle the situation?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
2Cavies&aSnake
(I copy and paste my referenced post) Hi everyone! My family has had our cornsnake Hermione for about 8 years she (we don't actually know her sex but my brother named her that when he was 5) was a hatchling when we got her from a pet store for my brothers birthday and he was supposed to be the main caretaker once he was old enough but my parents have been caring for her the entire time. He became indifferent towards her for awhile and last month I decided that I would take care of her from now on. So she has become my pet and I have started doing research on how to better her quality of life. That is how I ended up here. I'm looking forward to learning!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
DLena
Okay, you've got an adult corn, gender unknown, fed in separate container, change of behavior.
Give us details:
weight of snake
size and type of cage, and what is in it
heating used
temps on hot side and cool side (on the bottom of the cage, not the air)
what are you feeding, weight of prey and how often
WHAT HAS CHANGED FOR THE SNAKE? ...cage and/or furnishings, location, temperatures, activity in the room, a new other pet, is the snake near the cavies or can the snake smell them in the air or on the people handling the snake...
The more you think to tell use, the better the chance someone has an idea to help you!
Stay calm about it; it'll get figured out.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cavies&aSnake View Post
(Please read my introduction post in the new members forum for important details) I recently took on my brother's cornsnake and we have had her for about 8 years and she has had a great temperament she would even weave through my little sister's glasses when she was smaller.
Has she gone from a point of "Being Handled on a regular basis" to a point of "Long time - no handling" and then you stepped in and took over?

If a snake has not been handled in a long time, it can sort of revert back to an almost Wild State, and the taming process (Lots of Handling) will need to start over.

Quote:
Until a few months ago when she tried to bite my dad when he tried to take her out to feed her (my parents have always fed her in a separate container from her tank- is that normal?) next feeding time she actually did bite him.
Yes, feeding in a separate container is normal, ummm, well, to about half of snake owners. The other half will tell you not to. I would say, do what works best for the snake, and I have found with snakes, routine is always best. Do everything the same way, the snake will get used to you and the routine. If things are constantly changing, the snake will be confused and upset.

Quote:
She has become so aggressive that we have purchased a snake hook to handle her. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle the situation?
I personally don't like the term "Aggressive" to describe snakes. Is she chasing you around the house? no? Then she's not aggressive. She is trying to "Defend herself." She sees "You and your Husband" as the aggressors. You are invading Her Space, Messing with her, Picking her up, and she wants to be left alone. The question is - Why does she want to be left alone?

Just to echo what DLena already said above. Something has changed in her routine or environment and it has her upset.

Has the cage been moved to a new location? Is she in a different cage? Are her temperatures incorrect? Is there a cat or dog or other animal near by that she can see or smell, or that is pestering her? Is she about to shed? Has it been a long time since she was handled?

I can tell you this - incorrect temps make for a cranky snake. If a snake is trying to shed, it's best to leave them alone until over. If a snake's cage or routine has changed, they need time to re-acclimate and get adjusted.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Nanci
Is she getting fed enough? Any of my snakes will bite if they are too hungry. An adult corn should be getting a medium mouse every two weeks. Say 22-28 grams.

You don't want to make her fat, but if she's on that feeding schedule, you might try feeding every ten days, just as an experiment.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
DLena
Can we get a couple pictures of her, with a size-reference, like a ruler, to see her physic?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
DollysMom
Quote:
Small world indeed Dollysmom. Nothing has changed. I think she had just shed the first time she tried to bite my dad. I'm not 100% sure though because I hadn't taken responsibility for her yet and my brother wouldn't know because he doesn't pay attention. She has a under tank heating pad, a water bowl, climbing tree, and multiple hides. We use aspen shavings for bedding. I'm not sure how long she is or how much she weighs because I haven't been able to handle her yet. Is there a chance that she might have become unsocialized? My brother hasn't handled her for years but my dad did whenever it was her feeding time. My parents have always fed her in a ventilated storage bin instead of her tank. Is that typical practice? I would try to look it up but I don't know any reputable sites so I thought I should ask someone with experience. Thank you for your help. Yes, DLena, I have 2 guinea pigs (Lady Wynnifred and Prince Humperdink). Are you a Browncoat? I noticed the line under your username.
Hi. I pasted this from your welcome thread so we can consolidate our efforts.

I'm guessing it has been a lack of handling, perhaps coupled with shed that were a least two of the factors.

As has been answered, yes, feeding in a bin is typical especially when there is a loose substrate in the main enclosure.

Aspen is great and many of us use it, myself included.

I'm not clear, but do you have both warm and cool hiding places and other hiding places in the form of foliage and or clutter, yes?

Do check your temps (85 to 87 on the warm side on the glass under the aspen, 70 to 75 on the cool side. If you don't have one, your should get a thermostat. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Ce...art+thermostat

I use two thermometers like this, but buy the black color knock offs on eBay for less than $2 each:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digit...ed+thermometer

Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
DollysMom
Sorry for double posting but I suggest you get one or both of these books if you don't already have them.

https://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...rds=corn+snake

https://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...rds=corn+snake

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
2Cavies&aSnake
I tried to get her measurements/weight today but she 1/2 bit me (by 1/2 bit I mean scratched me with her top teeth and drew blood) as soon as I touched her.
I estimated that she is 42" long by looking at her stretched along the edge of her tank which is 30" long. http://imgur.com/a/ygIfA (this link should take you to a picture of her in her tank).
She has under tank heating.
The temp is right.
She is fed 2 frozen then thawed hopper mice every 2 weeks.
The only thing that has changed is that she has a taller cage because the bottom of her old one cracked and we couldn't find one exactly the same. But everything inside is the same.
I don't know if she can smell the guinea pigs. She is still in my brother's room across the hall from my room where the the cavies are.
My dad has only handled her to put her in her feedng box and he never handles the guinea pigs.
Yes, Karl_Mckight, she was handled a lot the first few years we had her but hasn't been for years.
We have a dog but we've had him almost as long as we've had her. They ignore each other.
She has been bitey for a while before and after her last shed.
Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
2Cavies&aSnake
Oh, and can anyone tell me what type of cornsnake she is?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google