CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Does Bedding Matter for Feeders?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Lore
Does Bedding Matter for Feeders?

Just as the Title seys.

I plan to purchase a few females and a male mouse today to generate a little extra food for the hatchlings I have, also I think the mice will be fun for the kids to watch.

I am wondering with the offspring of these mice being frozen and later used for food for my snakes, will it matter what type of bedding they live in? I know the Cedar Bedding can control their odors better and that, there is also the Pine with Chlorphyl, I have aspen of course and could just use that, but I figured for smells sake, can I use the other stuff with it not harming the snake that eats it.

Maybe this is a lame concern and question... but I figured better off asking than not and regretting it.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Joejr14
I don't see pine as a big deal like some do, but definitely stay away from the cedar.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
CornCrazy
I use pine for my feeders. It is definitely not the best thing for their respiratory systems IF they are going to be kept on it long term. The thing is...since these are feeders...they typically aren't on the pine for very long. My other rodents (non-feeders) are on aspen.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Daeraelle
If you plan to breed the mice on a long term (more than once or twice) I would use Apsen. Using cedar will cause you to have to replace your breeders often, and pine is not as bad as the cedar, but has the same effect over a longer period of time. I would use aspen if you plan on keeping your breeding stock for their whole lives. I know that the cedar and pine causes a respiratory condition, and I'm not sure how nutritious feeders from ill mice would be.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Lore
Thank You All for the info. I plan to use Aspen, because I do plan to keep the mice for as long as they are able to breed for me.

I picked out 4 females and 2 males, I got a great looking group too I'll post pictures in its own thread.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Bobo's Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLore
Thank You All for the info. I plan to use Aspen, because I do plan to keep the mice for as long as they are able to breed for me.

I picked out 4 females and 2 males, I got a great looking group too I'll post pictures in its own thread.
One tip that might help with the smell is to mix some kind of hay with the aspen. They love to make nests out of it, and it cuts down on the smell. Occasionally they will even chew on it. You can use the hay you would buy for rabbits and guinea pigs. And...if you are allergic to hay like I am, you can use rabbit food pellets. They are just pelleted alfalfa hay anyway. Also you can put a few teaspoons of baking soda in the bottom of the cage to help with the smell too. Hope that helps!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeraelle
If you plan to breed the mice on a long term (more than once or twice) I would use Apsen. Using cedar will cause you to have to replace your breeders often, and pine is not as bad as the cedar, but has the same effect over a longer period of time. I would use aspen if you plan on keeping your breeding stock for their whole lives. I know that the cedar and pine causes a respiratory condition, and I'm not sure how nutritious feeders from ill mice would be.
I have been keeping my mice on pine for several years and have NEVER had any respiratory issues.

If the mice are kept for as long as they are able to breed, that still isn't very long. Breeding takes a lot out of the female and typically they don't live as long as one that is a pet. It is best to rotate stock every 6 months or so.

A word of advice...mice smell REALLY bad. You are going to have to clean their tank every couple of days or so in order to keep the smell down...if you keep them on aspen.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
I have been keeping my mice on pine for several years and have NEVER had any respiratory issues.

If the mice are kept for as long as they are able to breed, that still isn't very long. Breeding takes a lot out of the female and typically they don't live as long as one that is a pet. It is best to rotate stock every 6 months or so.

A word of advice...mice smell REALLY bad. You are going to have to clean their tank every couple of days or so in order to keep the smell down...if you keep them on aspen.
Ya, I'm finding that out already this morning

Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
catsapp
I use corn cob for my feeders, I never see many people talk about it but it keeps the smell down and you can go longer between bedding changes. My roommate got me started on it, she uses it for her guinea pig (pee factory) and it really helps with the smell. A big bag will run you $3 at wal-mart. If you want your breeders to have some nesting material you can mix a little aspen or hay in with it.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsapp
I use corn cob for my feeders, I never see many people talk about it but it keeps the smell down and you can go longer between bedding changes. My roommate got me started on it, she uses it for her guinea pig (pee factory) and it really helps with the smell. A big bag will run you $3 at wal-mart. If you want your breeders to have some nesting material you can mix a little aspen or hay in with it.
Thanks that's a great idea. I'll pick up some corn cob at wal-mart today and mix in some aspen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google