CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

African soft furs: Legal?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Quiet Tempest
African soft furs: Legal?

I'm interested in the aspect of breeding African soft furs for my corns and ball pythons because I'm hearing that the smell of an African soft fur colony isn't as strong as mouse and rat colonies and that cannibalism is less likely among them.

However, several people have told me that these are a restricted species in many states. Is this true?

I contacted my state's wildlife resource agency and spoke with the captive wildlife coordinator and he wasn't aware of any rules or regulations pertaining to these guys, but said I should contact the USDA to be sure. I tried contacting them and have left a message, but while I wait for some response I was hoping maybe some of you guys could enlighten me?

Are African soft furs illegal in your state or are there restrictions put in place on them?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
LadyOhh
They are illegal in California.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Quiet Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
They are illegal in California.
Why are they illegal in California?

I'm in Tennessee. I have friends in Kentucky that are wondering the same thing about them. Especially those who already have these guys in their possession.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
wmdude102086
I dont know the exact reasons but alot of pet species are illegal in certain states due to them being feral to the enviroment and their ability to thrive. I know here in PA the Quaker Parakeet which is legal in some states in illegal here since it is not native but can thrive and cause lots of problems to crops and such. So I am guessing this may be the story with the ASFs? I mean they are mice what problems cant they cause!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
LadyOhh
Rodents are rodents..

The logic is that they can survive in a lot of different scenarios, which is why they are illegal in California, as their original environment is similar to that of California.

Same with Ferrets, Hedgehogs, Gerbils, etc...

All illegal in California.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
tom e
Yep. I remember when I was a kid and was breeding mice, I visited my cousin in Nebraska and he was breeding gerbils. Wow! I was blown away by them, they seemed so exotic, lol. I'd never seen them being a CA kid.

I would like to have one of those giant Gambian (?) rats though if it was legal here..

I think ASF's are legal in many states, though I don't think any more can be imported..

Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Flagg
They are banned from importing from any country into the US. Allegedly those already in the US are legal to own and breed and sell, unless banned by your particular state.

They were included in a wide ban on importing African rodents due to a monkeypox scare back in 2003 I believe.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
Quiet Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
They are banned from importing from any country into the US. Allegedly those already in the US are legal to own and breed and sell, unless banned by your particular state.

They were included in a wide ban on importing African rodents due to a monkeypox scare back in 2003 I believe.
Oooh, I'd all but forgotten about the Monkeypox scare.

Do you know if there's a compiled list of banned animals by state floating around anywhere?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Tempest View Post
Do you know if there's a compiled list of banned animals by state floating around anywhere?
That would be something your state Fish & Wildlife would have.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Quiet Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
That would be something your state Fish & Wildlife would have.
Well, I've spoken to Walter Cook, our captive wildlife coordinator at the TWRA and he's not aware of any ban on them. That's promising, but I need to verify it with the USDA. They're not very good at returning calls, apparently.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google