CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Blued Steel" Pippies!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #61
diamondlil
Have you still got the blue stripe? Love to see what she's like now

Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #62
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil
Have you still got the blue stripe? Love to see what she's like now
Unfortunately, she only ate once, then refused everything else. I eventually had to euthanize her.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #63
ecreipeoj
I just talked to Rob on the phone to confirm some of his results. From both clutches of Anery Motleys het Dilute Striped he only produced Anery phenotypes and Dilute Anery phenotypes. There were no Ghost.

The Ghost that he has produced from the Blue Motley line, came from a Blue Motley X Blue Motley breeding, so I believe they were Hypo Blue Motley, (Hypo Dilute Anery Motleys). The reason I believe this, instead of the Blues being caused by a gene that is an allele to Hypo, is that Rob told me that the “Ghost” Motleys from this breeding, still had the diluted black (Blue) color on them, that is unlike any Ghost he has seen. They looked to him, to be a Hypo Blue Motley rather than a Pastel Motley.

Blue Motley X Anery has always produced Anerys. Blue Motley X Pewter, produced Normals. Rob lost his male Normal het Dilute, Motley, Blood, Anery A & B, so he bred some of the females to a Blue Motley male and the other one, to an Anery Motley het Dilute Striped. The loss of the male from this group is unfortunate, but still would not have really proved anything about the possiblity of an allele at the Hypo lucus due to the OR factor. The biggest loss is a Dilute Charcoal can not be produced now.

His Hypo het Dilute, Lavender, Anery A X Sibling are due to hatch any day. It will be interesting to see if we can see something that appears to be a Hypo Dilute, and not just a Hypo morph. If the Dilute gene is an allele to Hypo, then it should not be present in this group. It would have been passed on into the Normals due to the OR factor.

Are the Blue Motleys caused by an independent Dilute gene or one that is located at the Hypo Locus? I don’t see anything that can prove it one way or the other at this point. Until somebody breeds a Blue X Hypo and produces all Normals, I guess we wont know for sure. I guess I will have to test out my Blue Motley male X Hypo next year and see if he is a carrier.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #64
Serpwidgets
Ok, I think this is up to date. (I added Susan's info from 4 posts ago.)

Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #65
Mrs InsaneOne
Ok, I've been trying to follow along with this thread for a couple of days and I'm not sure if I grasp all of the genetics, but I am working on that.

I'm chirping in here because I happen to have 3 of the siblings from Connie's 2006/11 clutch (the first clutch this year from Josh & Taylor.) I picked up 11/1, 11/7, and 11/8. Here are some updated photos of the three:

Gypsum (11/1 Snow)

Galena (11/7 Anery)

Graphite (11/8 Anery)

The colors of the girls in the photos are pretty close to R/L. All three are eating regularly (Thought Graphite will refuse when in the blue.) and have had at least one or two sheds - I'd have to look at my records.

Now, what I was curious to know, is what the possibility of a 'Diluted' gene (I think that's the term!) would mean in regards to the hets that these critters could have? I must say I never expected anything more from these three beauties other then what I saw. Is there a possibilty that they could be het for the dilute/blue motley? What would be a reccomended mate for these 3 when they are mature enough to breed if I wanted to check for it?

I would of course be honored to work with all the Cornsnake Greats out there on this. The possibilty is exciting! I know Tim was making plans for them, but I'll bump his project if another planned breeding would be beneficial for researching the dilute gene.

I hope I don't sound presumtous (sp??), it was not my intention. I was more wanting to know if these critters of mine (thanks you Connie! They are gorgeous!) could be of help down the line for breeding trials.

Jenn

Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #66
Mrs InsaneOne
And Susan, I could have sworn I posted this before, but those are exceptional looking critters!

Jenn

Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #67
ecreipeoj
I just receive a note from Rob about the results of his third clutch from his Anery Motley het Striped Dilute X Same breedings. There were only two eggs that survived and he hatched out a Blue Motley and a Striped Blue. The guy must have taken Murphy out for some drinks or something. His over all results, were about 50% Blues and 50% Anerys.

I have been thinking about how any of the results would show that the Dilute and Blue genes are alleles, and the only one that shows anything is Rob”s Blue X Hypo Lav breeding. He reported that the result was around 50% Normals and 50% Hypos. If they were allele, he should have gotten, the Ghost Blues that he has been producing, but he didn’t.

I have hatched out two small clutches from my Blue Motley this year, with a couple to go. The first clutch contained a Snow and the last clutch contained two Striped Anerys, so my Blue Motley is het for Striped Amel. It would seem as if, there are quite a few genes that had already been mixed in with the Blues, before they were discovered. We know that at least Amel, Hypo and Striped are in there, so some interesting Dilute results may show up now that we know.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #68
Serpwidgets
Jenn, the current hypothesis would make the dilute gene yet another recessive (for lack of a better term) "hypo-like thing," and it is independent of hypo at least. So, this would place all of yours as 66% poss hets.

SOS (grampa) was also het hypo, so there's a decent chance that Josh or Taylor carry hypo, too... translation: your hatchlings are also potentially carrying the hypo gene.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #69
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
Jenn, the current hypothesis would make the dilute gene yet another recessive (for lack of a better term) "hypo-like thing," and it is independent of hypo at least.
I was wondering how we would classify the Dilute gene. Will it be added to our long list of Hypomelanistic genes or will be stand alone? It is not simply reducing black pigment, but operating in a different way. It is more like adding white paint to other colors, than a reduction of black pigment.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #70
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj
I was wondering how we would classify the Dilute gene. Will it be added to our long list of Hypomelanistic genes or will be stand alone? It is not simply reducing black pigment, but operating in a different way. It is more like adding white paint to other colors, than a reduction of black pigment.
Good question. What does it do to normals? Maybe its effect only is visible when the snake lacks reds.

There should be some recovered in the normal phase this year from the hypo lav X blue motley F1s, so maybe we will see. (Or maybe we won't be able to tell. )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google