CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Farmer Jczak
Hello!

Hello Cornsnakes.com people,

It is lovely to be part of this forum and group of enthusiasts! Thank you for creating this community.

I grew up in south Florida near the everglades on a big pine filled lot, we had black racers, corns, and pygmy rattlers that were regulars in our gardens and around our property. My first real interaction with snakes that I recall was in one of the many state parks, when I was very young. One of the people who worked there was showing our group a black snake and got most of us to touch it, and to our wonder it was not slimy, but smooth and dry.

When I was 10 years old I was able to join a youth group in our church which regularly invited some snake educators who would bring retic's and burmese pythons out and teach us about them. I really wish I could recall who it was, because I would love to thank them for the impact they had on me as a snake lover and now also on my son, who owns a western hognose. You never know how many lives you may have impacted. I keep thinking there weren't that many people raising and/or keeping retics at that time (it was the late 80's), but am not sure.

I have been playing with the idea of hobby breeding for about 12 years now, reading everything I can get my hands on (most recently Reptile & Amphibian Variants by H. Bernard Bechtel) and, thanks to my supportive husband, finally started a collection last year. One year and already up to 6 corns....soon to be 7 :O

J. Ratajczak

Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I got my first introduction into snakes in a similar fashion. In the 7th grade at school a group of folks from a local Museum visited us and brought a bunch of snakes with them. One of them was a Python about 25 feet long. They asked for volunteers, and of course I had to raise my hand, and a few of us Students got to go up on stage and help hold this huge animal. Ever since that time I have loved snakes. That was about 49 years ago.

I got my first pet snake, A Red Tailed Boa when I was 17. I'm 61 now and I have had snakes in my life ever since. I'm not a breeder or seller, I just keep them as pets.

I've had 2 Boas, a Python and Cal King over the years, and currently have a 4 year old Corn snake named Rufus.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I agree, I wish there were more folks doing the snake demonstrations such as the one I was able to attend and the folks you described in your post.

Snakes get a bad rap most of the time. They are really amazing animals, have a lot of personality, and make good pets.

I do my best to introduce my snake, Rufus, to folks when we are out in public together. He's quite an ambassador and it's always amazing to see someone who's never held a snake before or who is afraid of them change their attitude after talking to me and playing with Rufus for a few minutes.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
SnakeCreations
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a lot of information here as well, it's my go-to searching for some answers.

Enjoy!

-Tonya

Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
Twolunger
Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see another corn breeder in Florida. I'm in Port Charlotte and find a lot of different snakes in the wild.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Frank Pinello
Another Florida guy here. Welcome! This is a great place to share experiences, ask for advise, show off your corns, etc.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Dennis Gulla
My history growing up was almost the same as yours. I was born and raised in western Dade County. I made many trips to the Everglades growing up. One of the most popular reptile educators and dealers back in the late 80’s was Joe. I can’t remember his last name, but I want to say it’s similar to the webslaves. Start with a Z and ends with a “ski.” Tall thin guy with straight blond hair. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Old 05-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
My history growing up was almost the same as yours. I was born and raised in western Dade County. I made many trips to the Everglades growing up. One of the most popular reptile educators and dealers back in the late 80’s was Joe. I can’t remember his last name, but I want to say it’s similar to the webslaves. Start with a Z and ends with a “ski.” Tall thin guy with straight blond hair. Anyway, welcome to the forum!
You are likely referring to Joe Wasilewski.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Dennis Gulla
Yes, Rich! You are correct sir!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
MysticExotics
Welcome to the forum!
Any particular morphs you're looking to work with?

Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 AM   #10
Farmer Jczak
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Any particular morphs you're looking to work with?
Too many?

I tend to think of them as 3 different categories, though I think a lot of morphs cannot be defined so neatly.

Pattern Morphs - Sunkissed Stripe, Stripe, Diffused

Polygenic Morphs - Milksnake Phase Miami's, Okatee's

Color Morphs - Buf, Kastanie, Strawberry, Lava, Dilute, Anery, Charcoal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google