CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn Snake is scared of me

Old 07-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Akai
Unhappy Corn Snake is scared of me

Hi everyone! I recently bought a brand new baby Albino Cornsnake 3 weeks ago. Akai is 3 months old now! After the first week of leaving the snake alone in its cage to allow it to settle in, I have been handling him outside of the cage for some time everyday to help him be tame. So far so good. However once he is back in his cage. It feels as if he has forgotten that he isnt scared of me (since while outside he is constantly flicking his tongue, looking around, and exploring the new environment and not showing any signs of being scared), and BOLTS to the nearest hide. This is very confusing for me to understand because it feels as if he doesnt like me. Even if he is out drinking from his water bowl, and I walk into the same room, he will flinch back very quickly even though im on the other side of the room and BOLT back into his hide. I feed him frozen thawed pinkies every 6 days, and hold him every day for around 30 minutes. This excludes the two days I give him to digest his food. He has everything he needs and I am not sure what is causing him yo be afraid of my presence. Any info would help! Thanks in advance -Akai

Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Dennis Gulla
It sounds as though you are doing everything correctly. It’s not uncommon for a snake the age of yours to seek cover anytime it sees movement around his enclosure. You have to understand that his environment is still new to him and they feel very vulnerable right now. I think with the consistency of your handling routine and more time to get acclimated to the environment he will be just fine.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
Akai
Okay! I will just give it time thank you!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Snakes are not like dogs or cats, you are a predator to them, especially when they're babies.
Keep doing what you're doing, and just give it time. Most of the time they become accustomed to being held.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Frank Pinello
Acting that way for thousands of years kept them alive and may take longer than 3months to overcome even for a corn snake.
I have a 2 year old in my collection of corns that still acts that way.
Please understand that a snake will never "like" their keeper. Maybe tolerate but not "like".
Enjoy!

Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Acting that way for thousands of years kept them alive and may take longer than 3months to overcome even for a corn snake.
I have a 2 year old in my collection of corns that still acts that way.
Please understand that a snake will never "like" their keeper. Maybe tolerate but not "like".
Enjoy!
Exactly. I have a couple that are 4 years old that are still drama queens when I hold them that I raised from hatching. Most of their siblings are pretty chill, but the two females are flighty. LOL

Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
SnakeCreations
I agree with what Mystic says....some never outgrow the drama. I love their silly personalities!

Enjoy!

Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
scared