• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Medusa's New Home! (w.i.p.)

CornFan29

I know corns don't require a large viv but… Medusa has grown quite a bit since I got her last september she's gone from about 22" to now 38" and being the animal loving hippy that I am I wanted to provide the largest viv I could afford for my girl :) So we are upgrading from her 29 gallon to a 75 gallon tank. The tank I bought is a pretty old 75 and I found out the hard way the dimensions are a little larger than newer tanks sold today thus the screen covers commercially sold didn't fit. So I had to get creative and build a custom locking screen top. After finishing that project I began searching the globe for the "perfect" piece of driftwood or grape vine to fit the tank without completely emptying my bank account. After that mission went down in flames I decided once again to take matters into my own hands. Today my wife and I spent $20 and about three hours making Medusa a climbing limb out of hardwood dowel rods. I'm not quite done with it yet going to dress it up with some leaves and vines but as for the build I'm calling it done. I think it turned out pretty nice let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 209
That looks awesome! I've done something similar with just a single dowel and staple-gunned vines onto it, but yours is so much cooler. And even though they don't 'need' the extra space, I think she will enjoy it (as much as a corn can experience enjoyment). :)

Thank you :) in the process of staining the wood to darken it up a bit using coffee and vinegar then giving it a few weeks to air out more pics to come soon!

Coffee staining done!

Ok coffee staining worked out pretty well I don think the picture really does it justice but I did to treatments with the coffee and vinegar. I rinsed the branch between each treatment and let it sit about 45 minutes each time. Very messy but done and it looks great I set an un stained dowel next to the branch to show the difference. Next is adding leaves more to come as I go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 180
Added leaves! :bird: Working on putting the rest of the viv together today more pics to come tonight or tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 152
She's going to love climbing all over that thing. It looks really great and I'm very jealous that I don't have one!

Cork bark tiles installed all thermostat / thermometer wires are hidden decorative leaves / grass bunches and two hammocks installed waiting for the silicone to cure and air out... Then all that's left is aspen bedding and Medusa!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 70
Lights on. Thank you everyone for all the compliments :) Once she gets adjusted get a picture of her out and about and enjoying her new setup :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 55
Back